Weekend Packed With 'Debauchery'

Winthrop Dance Was Just One of many Hedonistic Options

For certain Harvard students, Columbus Day weekend was just really long.

For others, it was one of the wildest since school began.

Some students said it was a pretty sober holiday weekend. "The wildest alcohol-related activity of which I've partaken this weekend was a healthy does of rum-butterscotch topping on my ice cream at Herrell's," joked Daniel G. Appel '98.

But a number of students chose to attend at least one of the weekend's "wild" parties--at places such as Winthrop House, Boston College and the Fly Club.

And those who did weren't sorry.

One of first episodes of hedonism occurred Friday night at Winthrop House, at the self-proclaimed "Dinning Hall Debauchery II."

The party, Winthrop's sequel to last spring's successful house event, drew more than 500 students, said House Committee Co-President Kristen M. Galanek '95.

Upon entering the house, partygoers were given a stack of phony dollars. During the party, students used the money to "bribe" others to remove articles of clothing.

"It was fun," said Al R. Motfitt '97. "It was kind of like of like a high school thing. It wasn't like real nudity. It was just people daring people to do stuff. It wasn't anything that outrageous, not as far as I saw."

But the Harvard Police apparently thought otherwise.

"People had started disrobing themselves, and they were asked to put their clothes back on [by police]," Galaneck said.

>Few heeded the officers' warnings, however.

"People were awe-inspired that others were being to free and uninhibited," said one Winthrop resident.

Another weekend blow-out look place at the Senior Mods, a dormitory complex at Boston College. Thousands of students from all over Boston converged on the Newton campus both Friday and Saturday nights to celebrate the repeat of last year's upset victory over Catholic arch rival Notre Dame.

And by the end of the football game Saturday afternoon--midway through the day-and-a-half long party--the B.C. crowd was not disappointed.

The campus and its victorious inhabitants were swash with beer, students said.