Boston: Hub of the Sporting World

City Features Celtics, Bruins, Patriots, More

The 1988 Harvard fall sports season is under way and with it comes the hootin' and hollerin' at Soldiers Field, Ohiri Field, Blodgett Pool and the Palmer-Dixon Tennis Center.

But don't forget about the other sports events around town this fall.

Rollin' Sox

Okay, so the commissioner of baseball is going to be a Boola-Boola Bulldog from Yale. That's okay, you can still go to a baseball game.

And the prime sports attraction in Boston these days is...surprise...the Red Sox, who have finally caught the Detroit Tigers and moved into first place in the American League's Eastern Division. Make your reservations now, because tickets are scarce for the few remaining Boston home games this month.

Manager Joe (I never played second base for the Cincinnati Reds) Morgan's hiring as "interim manager" after the All-Star break preceded the Red Sox' surge to the top of the standings. The bats of Wade Boggs, Marty Barrett, Ellis Burks and Mike Greenwell and the pitching of Roger Clemens and Bruce Hurst have been the strength of the Sox' winning this late summer. The signing of designated hitter Larry Parrish has been a gold mine for Morgan so far.

The Red Sox have also received a lot of help from their "competitors" this year, as both the Tigers and the New York Yankees have self-destructed in the race for the Eastern Division crown. Boston once again has put itself in prime position to break its fans' hearts in the Fall Classic but maybe, just maybe...snap out of it, you're dreaming again.

Standing Pat

The National Football League season is under way and the local favorites, the New England Patriots, are off to a great start following their 28-3 demolition of the New York Jets in a driving rainstorm last weekend.

The prospects for the Patriots' season may not be that bright, though, considering the Jets would have a tough time beating Columbia.

The team has changed very few faces from a squad that struggled to win less than half of its games last year. Rookie John Stephens' combination of power and speed is expected to give a mediocre running game a big threat, but without an effective offensive line, don't expect too much.

New England will once again have to depend on the wonderfully preserved arm of Steve Grogan to return to the playoffs this year. Grogan showed no signs of losing his accuracy as he threw two touchdowns to Irving Fryar in the Patriot's opening-day win.

The biggest weakness on the defensive front for the Patriots this year will be the defensive line, putting even more pressure on Andre Tippett and the secondary. The loss of Kenneth Sims for the year due to an Achilles tendon tear was not exactly at the top of Coach Raymond Berry's Christmas list.

The biggest change this year for the Patriots may be their owner. With razor magnate Victor Kiam ready to purchase the team, expect Sullivan Stadium to be renamed Remington Stadium by next September.

Big Green Machine