Why Ask Why

Bud Lite's Bud Dry

There's something about a dry beer--any dry beer--that cries out of mystery.

Budweiser will be trying for the magic three-peat when it faces off against Bud Lite in Sunday's bud Bowl III. Some people think Bud Lite has no chance. Backers of the Litesters are asked, "Why do you think they can win?" Lite rookie QB Bud Dry asks...

"Why make a dry beer?"

"Why drink a dry beer?"

"What is a dry beer, anyway?"

But there's no mystery to Bud Dry, the Starting quarterback for Bud Lite in Sunday's Bud Bowl III.

"Why ask why?" Dry asks.

And true to word, Dry lives life without any questioning of the whys in this world. "Just do it" would be the more appropriate cliche to describe this headstrong character.

And "just do it" is what Bud Lite is asking this rookie quarterback to do Sunday in its attempt to foil Budweiser's dreams of a three-peat as Bud Bowl champion.

"There's not much pressure," Dry bubbles. "I bet my teammates are feeling a bit snake-bitten, to get so far and come up short against these guys two years in a row. Does that matter? I'm not sure. We're a young team. We're thirsty. Some of our guys are just out of the breweries. Does that matter? I'm not sure.

"I'd think inexperience will be a much bigger factor in the game," Dry adds. "But hopefully we can catch them off guard with a little freelancing." Freelancing?

"Well, not exactly freelancing. But, well...yeah, freelancing. What about it?"

Never mind.

In 1991, the year of the "threepeat," defending champions are O-for-1 following the NFL's San Francisco 49ers' 15-13 loss to the New York Giants last Sunday. Now, it's up to the Detroit Pistons, the Princeton men's basketball team and Budweiser to break the jinx.

Dry is betting on the Tigers to cop the first three-peat, at least based on the atmosphere around the Bud Lite refrigerator the last couple of weeks.