THE SPORTING SCENE

Swing and Sway With the Annex A.A.

A common first impression of the Radcliffe Quadrangle is that it would be the perfect place for a field hockey game. Strangely enough, Radcliffe girls do occasionally play field hockey there.

The sport is one of the major offerings in the required gym program, and, in addition, the 'Cliffedwellers sometimes round up a varsity to play teams from Pembroke, Jackson, and Mill Street. Besides this, the Radcliffe A.A. organizes a six-team dormitory league.

The fall intramural program wound up yesterday in an involved round-robin tournament featuring half the league. As the triple-header didn't start until 4 p.m., the games were limited to six minutes each. But the teams played three scoreless ties, so they had to go through a final round of four-minute overtime periods as the sun went down.

The light was so poor that the small crowd (cold weather probably cut down attendance) could barely see Pat Partridge tip in the shot that gave a combined Whitman-Eliot team the championship over Briggs and Cabot.

Whitman Wonder Gal . . .

The Whitman-Eliot club clearly earned its win. (The two small dorms compete as one unit.) It was the only team that passed with any consistent degree of accuracy, and its defense stopped all drives. Whitman-Eliot's Kitty Coolidge was easily the outstanding player on the field.

This amazing young lady can do everything with a hockey stick. A center half-back, she holds the defense together, and feeds the ball up to the forwards. She set up the lone score, hanging a 30-foot drive which the Briggs goalie was just able to clear. Miss Patridge, aided by the right side of the Whitman-Eliot line, pounced on the loose ball and shot it home.

The balls, incidentally, cost an inflated $8 each, and are about the size of a baseball, though much harder. Except for shinguards, the Radcliffe girls wear no other protection. The only other equipment they carry besides their sticks is a blue pinafore worn to distinguish between teams. One club, therefore, is referred to as "The Pinnies." The other becomes simply the "Non-Pinnies."

The sticks in this combination of soccer and hockey are short, solid, and round on one side. The use of the rounded face of the club is not allowed, and swinging the sticks from above the waist-level is not encouraged.