Crews Again Sweep Charles As Varsity Trims MIT, BU

Harvard crows frolicked on the Charles Saturday afternoon for the second week in a row, sweeping all seven races and easily beating MIT and BU in the varsity finale.

Only in the freshman race was the Crimson seriously challenged, with MIT limiting the victory margin to half a length. But in every other race Harvard clearly demonstrated that its crews are the best in the area.

In the varsity race, the Crimson took advantage of ideal rowing conditions to turn in a performance 25 seconds better than last week's Compton Cup victory over MIT.

The Crimson, finishing the mile and three-quarters course in 8:59,6, never had to row above a 35 beat, although both second-place MIT and third-place BU approached 40 in the final sprint.

Terriers Premature

As expected, the high-stroking Terriers enjoyed an early lead, but by the end of the first eighth-mile Harvard was in command and Tech was a close second. With stroke Bill Curwen holding a 31 1/2 beat, the smooth Crimson shall had a half-length lead on MIT and began to open water on BY, which had faded fast to third.

Harvard's lead had widened so much near the finish line that the large crowd which banked both sides of the river showed considerably more interest in the battle for second place than in the Crimson finish.

The terriers staged a big comeback in the sprint and almost nipped MIT. the Engineers, closing fast, finished just a deck-length ahead of BU.

Jayvees Also Win

The Crimson jayvee heavies also won its race by two lengths, but the runnerup order this time was reversed, BU beating out the Engineers by half a length.

With MIT getting off on a poor start and BU as usual rowing at a high stroke, the Crimson jayvees rested in second place for a minute or two before they pulled out into the lead.

Jayvees Hit 38

The javees increased the stroke from 31 to 38 in the sprint and finished in 9:07.6, seven seconds ahead of BU and 12 seconds ahead of MIT.

For a while it looked as if the entire afternoon's program would surprisingly be completed on time or even ahead of schedule. But just before the start of the varsity race the Harvard stake boat became loose at its anchorage, and the race was delayed seven minutes.

The varsity boating: Scully, bow; Asp, 2; Reynolds, 3; Felt, 4; Anderson, 5; Strong, 6; Iselin, 7; Curwen, stroke; Waler, coxswain.

The varsity summaries:

Harvard, first, 8:59.6.

MIT, second, 9:07.0.

BU, third, 9:08.3.