The Playgoer

AT THE WILBUR

"West of Broadway" is a pleasant and often delightful little show; it importance is negligible but its flavor is lasting and Ruth Chatterton's acting and Albert Lewis's production work are largely responsible. The story is about an actor and actress who have teamed together for some ten years, at the end of which they give their farewell performance and move to Iowa, Mother Nature, and disaffection.

Miss Chatterton as the better nine-tenths of the combination is the only actress we have seen who could lead with both her chins and get away with it, and her slight attack of avoirdupois is not in the least detrimental of the effectiveness of her portrayal. It is unfortunate for "West of Broadway" that the same cannot be said for Walter Abel; he poses from one side of the stage to the other; and though the audience is expected to envision him as something of a great or romantic ham, he is unconvincing their as great or romantic; his greatest asset is his flawless reading of lines.

Some of Marguerite Robert' aphorisms are priceless, and others seem to have been disinterred from the grave of Oscar Wilde. Concerning scenes, the first and last are too long, the others good; the scene where the two starts get slightly squiffed on applejack and take down their hair is excellent, likewise the one in which Miss Chatterton finds that the new plumbing fixtures she has ordered are not the color she expected.

The supporting cast is, on the whole, excellent, especially Will Geer and Jeanne Dante as an Iowa J.P. and daughter respectively. Mary Wilsey as the outspoken housemaid is adequate. One wishes the Eva Condon, as a veteran actress, would put more vitality into her part, since it is a good one.

"West of Broadway" is light stuff, but is never takes itself seriously, and, consequently, passes as reasonably good entertainment.