The Yale Crew.

The following criticism of the Yale crew is taken from the Yale News:

The work of the crew as a whole, shows the lack of long practice pulls, there is an unsteadiness in the boat, which is due to a failure to have such points as have been taught on short practice pulls firmly ground into them by long distance rowing. This lack of long pulls has been due to the unfavorable, condition of the water that the crew has met all through the Spring, there having been but two or three times that it has been possible to row the four-mile course in the harbor.

Gallaudet, stroke, sets an unusually steady stroke; his chief fault seems to be in rowing in too mechanical a manner; this does not combine and run into each other the different elements. This tends to make his stroke short. On the recovery his oar goes very high into the air and frequently doesnot come down to the water over the catch as it should.

Ives, No. 7, is the most graceful man in the boat and does his work very smoothly. His tendency is to go back too far, and he sometimes does not get into the water with with No. 8.

Hartwell, No. 6, gets in a long stroke and applies his power well, but does not concentrate it sufficiently. He tries to reach too far, swings back more than is necessary, and while he carries stroke well home to the finish, in taking it out he feathers his oar under the water instead of lifting it out.

Graves, No. 5, is short in his swing, does not carry his oar through, and fails to make a strong solid pull through the water.

Paine, No. 4, has shown marked improvement over his rowing of last year, but there is still room for much more. He is slow on starting the recovery aft, and allows his oar to go up high on the catch, thereby missing considerable force at the commencement of the pull and rendering it impossible for him to get his oar in the water at the point he reaches to.

Van Huyck, No. 3, is short and strong. He pulls hard as long as his oar is in the water but it flies out at the finish and he does not get it in the water but clips on the catch, he is also slow on getting started aft.

Balliet, No. 2, is likewise short, and he does not carry his oar through as far as it should go on the pull and fails to get it into the water at the point he reaches to. He is a strong and endurable oarsman, however, and can be relied on in a tight place.

Johnson, bow, handles his oar well and is a very careful worker. But he does not get the grip on the water which he should acquire before the first of July.