Vesper Services.

Each fall as the days become shorter and the weather colder the older members of the University begin to look forward with pleasant anticipation to the vesper services. These services, coming as they do on Thursdays at 5 o'clock, an hour convenient for most members of the university make a pleasant break in the week, and afford an opportunity for the common worship of our Creator, a worship which as Dr. Donald so apply said, we all feel the need of simply because we are human beings.

Many and attractive have been the services in the past, and that of yesterday, the first of this year, shows certainly no falling off. Dr. Donald made a most favorable impression, and his simple and manly appeal for common fellowship in our worship found an echo in the hearts of his audience. Mr. Locke had provided as so loist Mr. J. H. Ricketson of New York and his rendering of the "Prodigal Son" was very effective.

Dr. Donald said: The vesper services were not established for the purpose of instructing but for worship of God. There are constantly two streams flowing from the human heart. It is not enough that a man should have a clean conscience, and a clean head; there is a hunger for Almighty God that must be satisfied. We die alone and for the most part live alone; a man's friends and even his love, no matter how strong, are both insufficient. We are incapable of expressing what is in our hearts, so, feeling that God must know everything, we simply fall down and worship Him.

If we wish God's help or guidance we can have it for the asking. And what place so fit as here, the common meeting ground, where the roof is large enough to shelter all members of the University in one of the richest and most beautiful exercises of the University. During the service the following anthems were sung: "I will sing of Thy Power," Sullivan; "My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord. - West; Solo from Sullivan's "Prodigal Son;" Soloist, Mr. J. H. Ricketson.