Alex's Essay

{shortcode-25e49b4b8121523bb7658bec450f2430823f4301}

LSATMax is on a mission to democratize LSAT prep by breaking down financial and geographic barriers, ensuring every aspiring law student has access to the highest quality prep available.

Created by the same Harvard Law School alumni that developed BarMax, LSATMax combines cutting-edge technology with top-tier instruction to offer a concierge-level LSAT prep experience far beyond the traditional self-study model.

As the pioneer of mobile LSAT prep and the highest-rated LSAT app on the market, LSATMax provides unparalleled accessibility. Available both as a mobile app and via LSATMax Online, it allows students to study anytime, anywhere, whether on the go or from the comfort of their home.

This flexibility is complemented by the robust, adaptive curriculum, designed to tailor itself to each student's strengths and weaknesses, ensuring a personalized learning experience that maximizes potential and boasts an average score increase of 18 points—the highest in the industry.

Multimedia

LSATMax Prep Logo

LSATMax Prep Logo

The content of LSATMax is crafted by Harvard Law alumni, including those who scored perfect on the LSAT, ensuring that students receive the best possible guidance. These experts have developed comprehensive lessons for every concept and question type, making even the most challenging material approachable and understandable.

LSATMax’s team of 99th-percentile instructors and tutors is dedicated to providing personalized support. With Live Daily Classes, students can engage in real-time learning and ask questions directly to the experts. This interactive approach is further enhanced by the inclusion of every LSAT ever released, allowing students to practice with real exam questions and track their progress through detailed personal analytics. Additionally, every LSAT question includes detailed explanations, not only for every answer choice but also each Reading Comp passage and Logical Reasoning stimulus.

Understanding that every student is unique, LSATMax offers personally tailored study plans that adapt to individual needs and goals. This customization, combined with unlimited personal support and attention, ensures that students receive a truly bespoke prep experience. Additionally, LSATMax offers private LSAT tutoring and law school admissions consulting to provide even more personalized assistance for students aiming to reach their law school dreams.

Start your journey to law school today with LSATMax’s free trial. Experience the future of LSAT prep and see firsthand how LSATMax is redefining what it means to be prepared. With LSATMax, achieving your highest potential score is not just a possibility—it’s a promise!

Successful Harvard Law School Essay: Statement of Purpose

Tantalized by the sight of the finish line, my legs kicked into high gear as I reached the end of my first Sprint Triathlon to the cheers of onlookers on a hot August morning. Almost a year of training had finally culminated in two exhausting hours of swimming, biking, and running. Even though I competitively ran cross country for seven years, my nerves about this day somehow handily surpassed the nerves about any race I had run during those years. For all the months leading up to the event, I was consumed by a nauseating anxiety that I would fail to complete one of the legs of the race and have to forfeit. Yet I was no longer competing for my school’s team; it did not objectively matter how I fared in the race to anyone but myself. However, the growth I underwent to stand confidently on the morning of the race and accomplish this milestone has a far greater worth than any medal or trophy.

Nine months prior to the race, I could barely swim one length of a pool, capable only of a survival-mode tread. As a child I churned through every swim instructor at my local pool, none of whom ended up succeeding in teaching me a proper freestyle stroke. When I returned home to Naperville after my graduation in December 2022, I was driven back to finish the work of those instructors. Wanting to apply myself to a genuine challenge, I committed to train for a triathlon given my lifelong aversion to swimming. My mom, an avid swimmer since childhood, patiently worked with me through the roadblocks of how to breathe properly and build up stamina for longer swims. The initial physical frustrations eventually gave way to aggressive jitters about the race itself— the fear that my heart would beat too fast and that my breath would escape me consumed my thoughts. In the face of every hurdle, she helped me dispel any doubt that I would not reach the triathlon swim distance of 375 meters. After about six months of incremental improvement, I went from struggling with 25 meters to regularly swimming a full mile.

My training ramped up when I returned to Baltimore to begin my new job at the Office of the Public Defender (OPD) in the Felony Division. Although I highly enjoyed my summer internship and was enthusiastic to continue working there, the gravity of the job seemed out of my depth. In my volunteer work at various shelters throughout college, my and the clients’ worlds intersected only for a few hours per week. I subsequently developed an ambition to contribute more wholly to advancing justice and equity in the city. Working at the OPD has further illuminated the dimensions of advocacy that require an even deeper level of trust and understanding necessary to pursue this work as a livelihood. This was never more apparent to me than when I sat alongside an attorney who, when she left the courtroom following her client’s guilty plea, consoled her client’s grieving family and discussed his sentencing hearing that would follow, where he later received the maximum sentence allowed by the plea.

The flexibility, tact, and empathy the attorney exhibited in her representation both inside and outside of the courtroom floored and inspired me. Sitting in the courtroom and hearing his sentence, my breath escaped me like it once had in the pool. It was clear that neither academic knowledge of the law nor a volunteer background would suffice in enduring repeated devastation and still needing to maintain my composure like she had. But just as in my triathlon training, I feel empowered to forgo what is comfortable and familiar in entering the legal practice through affirmation from my network of support. Through emotionally difficult cases and through technical considerations of how to employ the right case law or elicit the most beneficial testimony, the OPD’s attorneys have given me many opportunities for contemplating my own sensibilities as a future lawyer. In combination with the lessons learned in my years of volunteering and community engagement, I am piecing together the principles that will best contribute to my ultimate goal of being in service to others.

{shortcode-b82b55aeb0b0a6340fc2d2b428b989c140facba1}

I am now ready to embrace the new challenge of law school, this time with more resilience and an even stronger desire to excel. Having transformed moments of discomfort and defeat into fruitful strides, I am prepared to walk alongside clients in pursuit of their proper treatment and outcomes despite any obstacles. As a lawyer, I aim to bring the holistic perspective that has informed my volunteer work and employment to any clientele I serve. To become the most effective and tenacious advocate possible, I seek an environment where I can engage with people, places and ideas that will push me to think critically and contribute meaningfully. I eagerly await the chance to add a new node of fellow devoted students to my support network, hoping that we can be vulnerable about our lived struggles and assist one another in realizing our potential. At Harvard Law School, I know I will find the tools to continue my lifelong work in progress, steered by my determination and buttressed by those who surround me.

{shortcode-6f9ce1c5c4b4b9cc98a8925e7a6a89319bf8bb40}

Professional Review by LSATMax

Many applicants hear “personal statement” and think “hardship story.” While a profound story about overcoming hardship can result in a successful personal statement, we loved that Alex's essay illustrated one of the many other ways to craft a compelling personal statement. This essay only touches on two points in Alex's life — training for a triathlon and a courtroom scene — but it succeeds because it’s a cohesive story of an applicant with clear goals and the drive to reach them.

In focusing on these two points, Alex's essay avoids a common personal statement pitfall: the “résumé recitation.” Personal statements that recite each item in an applicant’s résumé can be dry slogs that don’t say anything deeper about the applicant. Alex's essay is anything but that. From the beginning, Alex hooks the reader with evocative phrases like “nauseating anxiety” and “aggressive jitters.” She also gives us a sense of her personality, humorously describing her early attempts at swimming as a “survival-mode tread” and recalling how she “churned through every swim instructor” in her childhood.

{shortcode-8b5e98c1e3099541d14d17bbb4df1cb369bc9084}

Most importantly, Alex's essay conveys that she has the tools, drive, and personality to be a successful lawyer. Alex doesn’t need to say this explicitly in her personal statement — the essay’s two anecdotes show this. The anecdote about the triathlon shows that she can overcome challenges and knows how to push herself to reach hard goals. Her experience in the OPD shows that she has already thought about the impact an attorney can have and has begun working towards a career in public service. Moreover, this part of her personal statement displays her empathy and passion, specifically her desire to provide advocacy based on a “deeper level of trust and understanding” with her future clients. That she cleverly weaves together both stories with the line “my breath escaped me like it once had in the pool” is icing on the cake.

{shortcode-d5387d18a22dfbfb149c48d64b2c4452d8d633e5}