Columns

The Elephant Will Take You There

“Are you recruiting?”

“Hey! How’s it been?”

“Hey! It’s been good! How are you?”

“Good! Work is picking up, but you know, probably the same for everybody right now.”

“Yeah, totally. I guess job stuff is a little bit crazy right now too.”

“Are you recruiting?”

“Yeah. Yeah, I am.”

“Oh, nice! Hey, good for you for getting on the employment game so early.”

[Some silence.]

“I’m guessing you’re not recruiting, then?”

“Yep, yep. You know, fellowships and what not. Apparently public service recruiting’s in October?”

“Haha, I guess you haven’t come over to the dark side yet, have you? Good for you, too.”

“Haha, yeah I guess. Okie dokes, I’m heading off to Boylston. See ya later, and good luck with your interviews!”

“Yeah, so good to see you!”

This article isn’t about the pros and cons of recruiting. Heck, it’s not even about the systematic problems that often make public service options too little, too late for seniors. I do need an outlet, though, to vent about some awkward conversations I’ve had lately with people who are recruiting, good friends and acquaintances alike. Likely, those folks probably want an outlet to vent about talking to a person who is not recruiting (or maybe about the experience of talking to me in general). So bear with me.

When a person who is recruiting and a person who is not recruiting begin a conversation about jobs, an elephant is born into the room. Both of you can sense the invisible young elephant dashing around like mad, and it really stresses you out like hell. So you eventually blow off the subject (“Gah, I know, so stressful”) and change the topic of conversation.