Veteran Standouts Lead Crimson

With returning core players and skilled rookies, Harvard is confident going into a new season

Walsh and Learn
Meredith H. Keffer

Joe Walsh, entering his 16th season as the head coach of Harvard baseball, comes into 2011 with high expectations for his club. The team, which has not had a winning season since 2006, looks to a well-rounded lineup with a core of experienced pitchers as well as a fast group of freshmen to boost this year’s record.

Modesty has its place, but not on the diamond.

“We’re really, really excited about the season this year,” said Harvard baseball coach Joe Walsh. “I’m not going to give you any ‘We’re cautiously optimistic’ or anything. We’re good. We’re good right now.”

After making small improvements over the last few years, Crimson baseball is ready to take down its typically grueling schedule with a high level of performance that the entire program seems enthusiastic about.

“We’ve had a lot of great players since I’ve been here,” senior catcher Cole Arledge said, “but I think this year we have the most total talent...I’m just really excited.”

“We have a lot of confidence, and we know what we have to do,” fellow senior Taylor Helgren echoed. “Maybe that’s the same or different than last year, but it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Arledge and Helgren are part of the squad’s class of 14 seniors, many of whom have played all four years at Harvard. The prominence of veteran players is a big change in team dynamic coming off of a year when the Crimson had only three seniors.

“I think this year we just have a lot more experience,” said senior catcher and captain Tyler Albright. “It’s a little different team this year, but I think this is going to be a good year for us...There’s a lot more team leadership out on the field.”

Albright has been a key part of that leadership, returning to captain the team for the second year.

“I can’t say enough about Tyler,” Walsh said. “Every pitcher wants to throw to him. He calls 95 percent of the game, blocks curveballs in the dirt with men on third base, and he’s a clutch guy up at the plate. We’re really lucky to have a kid like that.”

And although Harvard is looking to avoid the injuries that plagued Albright and several others in its lineup last season, the team’s widespread talent this year gives the Crimson depth at many positions. This includes junior catcher Jon Smart and Arledge, who are there to back up Albright behind the plate.

On the mound it’s a similar story. Harvard has an unprecedented number of high-caliber pitchers—including Eric Eadington, Conner Hulse, Max Perlman, and Brent Suter—that many are hoping will allow the team to improve on last year’s 17-26 overall record.

“Starting pitching is key; it’s just the basis of the game,” senior shortstop Sean O’Hara said. “But I think we have the defense and the hitting to keep up, so I’m looking forward to being pretty competitive this year.”

With a slew of skilled hurlers keeping its opponent’s bats at bay, the Crimson’s offense should have a good chance to pick up some wins with experienced hitters and a new batch of quick runners.

O’Hara, Albright, and junior Jeff Reynolds led Harvard batters last season and are likely to post good numbers again along with returning impact-players seniors Sam Franklin and Dillon O’Neill, and junior Marcus Way.

A number of rookies are also working to earn their spot in the lineup, a couple of them boosted by speed that the Crimson’s coach believes can be instrumental in picking up bases in the team’s small-ball offense.