Harvard Pitchers Sean Matson and Tanner Smith Selected in 2024 MLB Draft

{shortcode-5870370f7ec0eae29f6bd4065e2fc875560b6278}

For the second consecutive year, two members of Harvard’s baseball team were selected in the MLB Draft. Seniors Sean Matson and Tanner Smith were picked up in the ninth round by the Cleveland Guardians and in the 15th round by the San Diego Padres, respectively. With the duo’s selection, the Crimson has 63 MLB draft picks all-time.

Matson, who was chosen with the 265th overall pick, joins 2023 ninth round draft pick Jay Driver ’24 in the Guardians’ minor league system. As the ace of the Crimson's rotation, Matson posted an ERA of 3.25 last season, along with 77 strikeouts and 27 walks across 63 and two-thirds innings pitched. His performance earned him Second Team All-Ivy Honors.

“Now, I’m feeling super excited to get the show on the road,” said Matson, on getting drafted. “I’m pumped to get to Arizona real quick. I was kind of not expecting to get the call. My advisor was saying there was a good chance that I’d get the call the next day. He called me out of the blue, didn’t think anything of it, my parents were crying, and it was a really special moment. As soon as it came on the TV, we gave each other hugs and shared that moment together.”

In addition to a stellar regular season, Matson was named the most outstanding relief pitcher at the Cape Cod Baseball League during the 2023 Summer season. Over 16 appearances and 21.2 innings pitched at the Cape, Matson posted an incredible statline: a 6-0 record, 0.00 ERA, and 26 strikeouts to pair with only three walks. Across his Harvard career, he has amassed 185 strikeouts over 167 innings pitched.

On the importance of playing for Harvard and in the Ivy League, Matson added, “Coach Decker, Stark, Cole, all those guys prepare you for the next level. They prepare you to play for the name on your chest right now, and [it] prepares you for the next level. You’ve seen more and more guys come out [of the Ivy League] because we take baseball seriously. It breeds players who want to take their skills higher and higher, and everyone is working towards the same goal.”

While moving to the professional level is never an easy step, Matson is eager to meet the challenge.“I’m really excited for the development and taking my game further and further," the Chadds Ford, Pa. native explained. "I’m really excited for pro baseball, to learn new things day in and day out, and the new relationships. I get to play with 100, 200 more guys by the time I’m done playing ball, and that’s 200 more relationships, not even including the coaches, training, and on top of that developing as a person.”

Smith, the 450th overall pick, recorded an 8.49 ERA across 13 appearances during the 2024 season. Through 23.1 innings of work, the Duxbury, Mass. native posted a 2-2 record along with one save and 29 strikeouts. He missed the 2023 season due to a shoulder injury, but with his promising 6’6”, 240-pound frame, Smith could quickly develop into an important piece for an MLB roster.

“I got my family around and it was an exciting time because it represents an opportunity to do the thing I want to do most: play professional baseball in the big leagues,” Smith explained. “I’m excited now and living it out, but it’s not the end goal. I’m gonna do my best, have some fun, and it’s a blessing to get this opportunity. My emotions spiked that night and the next morning, and now it’s setting in and becoming real.”

Like Matson, Smith believes playing in the Ivy League helped mature him into an elite prospect. “It’s a very strong league. It’s getting better every year, with recruits and draft picks. It’s very strong competition, and not easy at all. It definitely prepared us, and seeing previous Ivy Leaguers get drafted and it’s pretty cool to watch.”

As their collegiate careers come to a close, both Matson and Smith reflected on the unique camaraderie of the Harvard baseball team. “I’ll miss that team atmosphere where we’re all fighting for that same goal," Matson said. “In my heart, I’ll still be rooting on and fighting for myself. Being in the hotel, locker room, staying up with each other, and hanging out with that team aspect I’ll miss the most.”

“Carrying on the tradition of Harvard baseball has been one of my biggest goals,” Smith added. “Introducing the underclassmen of Harvard baseball is something I’ll miss greatly. Sean and I talked about that, and that’s something we’re gonna miss doing together.”

With Matson and Smith on their way to the big leagues, the pressure in Cambridge will now shift onto junior righty Callan Fang’s shoulders. Fang, the second option to Matson last season and a bona fide two-way threat, recorded an impressive sophomore campaign, clinching the prestigious title of the Ivy League Pitcher of the Year. Fang will likely be joined in the starting rotation by sophomores Will Burns and Truman Pauley, who made 14 and 15 appearances, respectively, last season.

Moving forward, Smith maintains that the goal doesn’t change for Harvard baseball. He explained, “[My goal for the team is to] carry on that tradition. Win a championship. But, it starts with the little things that keep the tradition and culture alive and up to the standards that I came into my freshman year.”

--Staff writer Praveen Kumar can be reached at praveen.kumar@thecrimson.com