MLK Jr. Elementary School Awarded Blue Ribbon Distinction for Equity Gains

{shortcode-c9424d603f10b99c6afddf951bc1da53b23bccd2}

Cambridge Public Schools’ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary School received the National Blue Ribbon School distinction for improvements in closing achievement gaps from the U.S. Department of Education on Monday.

The distinction was awarded to 356 public and private schools across the country for recognition in one of two areas: “Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools” or “Exemplary High Performing Schools.” Massachusetts received nine blue ribbon awards this year.

Cambridge has seen wide and persistent achievement gaps among its students — especially racial achievement gaps — leading school administrators to move toward standardized curricula for math and English.

“Through collaboration, hard work, innovative programming, and a steadfast belief in every student, our school has transformed from one of the lowest-performing to one of the highest-achieving schools in the state,” Principal Gerald Yung said in a press release.

Interim Superintendent David Murphy praised the school for its work to bridge the achievement gap.

“The school and its tremendous staff have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to closing achievement gaps among student demographic groups, delivering on our mission to empower student excellence with fidelity,” Murphy said, according to the press release.

State-level departments of elementary and secondary education nominate public schools for the award. In order to be nominated, schools must meet standardized-test-based criteria for consideration in each area.

Achievement Gap Closing Schools consider improvement and performance in standardized test scores, while Exemplary High Performing Schools primarily consider student scores relative to the whole school. Graduation rates constitute another consideration for high schools.

Last year, Benjamin Banneker Charter Public School, a Cambridge charter school, received the Blue Ribbon, marking one of the seven Massachusetts schools to receive the award.

In November, Yung and a teacher will represent the school at a recognition ceremony in Washington, D.C.

—Staff writer Darcy G Lin can be reached at darcy.lin@thecrimson.com.

—Staff writer Emily T. Schwartz can be reached at emily.schwartz@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @EmilySchwartz37