Columns

Clubs Offer a ‘Transformative’ Education — Just Not the Ones You’d Think

{shortcode-7ebe620964515ea9b033df62008be1f258bce722}

Harvard students are quite peculiar. With endless problem sets, papers, and presentations to do — and, contrary to popular belief, a generous number of social gatherings to attend — we still choose to pour time into our extracurricular activities.

In short, at Harvard, clubs are king. When the College speaks of a transformative education and intellectual vitality, many assume this develops purely in the classroom. But it would be a mistake to believe that personal development can be garnered strictly by way of academic experiences. Nothing will change us as profoundly as the hundreds of extracurricular opportunities offered to us the moment we step on campus — so long as we have the courage to choose them well.

Although it’s certainly exciting to have access to 400 clubs on campus (and counting), the sheer volume of student groups does not, of course, guarantee your transformation. In some ways, it poses a new challenge — the paralysis that comes with so many options.

In the face of the hundreds of shouting students, neon-colored flyers, and snazzy poster boards that saturate the annual Student Organization Fair, it’s tempting to go back to the basics — in other words, to just do what we did in high school. Whether you were a debate kid, a theater kid, or captain of the track team, you’re bound to find your teenaged niche represented here at Harvard.

But there’s another holdover from our high school days more insidious than mere familiarity that can shape our extracurricular choices.

Like many high-aspiring secondary schoolers, when I was in high school, I viewed extracurriculars as innately tied to productivity and prestige. While I certainly enjoyed my activities in their own right, everything I did was in some way attuned to the pursuit of that golden acceptance letter.

I know I’m not alone when I say I would have never allowed myself to join a club simply because it was fun. With the specter of college applications towering over me, my passion for knitting just couldn’t compete with a more resume-worthy activity. I had to set down my needles and pick up a debate stand.

Of course, hustle culture doesn’t disappear when we get to college. Indeed, in many ways, it only intensifies. But to truly undergo the mythicized transformation Harvard promises, we have to relinquish control of who we once were. It requires a leap of faith — not just in trying something new, but in learning to stomach the guilt of and, ultimately, embracing doing things simply because they make you happy.

Having strayed from the preprofessional path for an activity decidedly less than careerist, I speak from experience. My freshman year, I joined the Harvard Asian American Dance Troupe on a whim, and I fell in love with it. Growing up in Utah, I was already one of few people of color in my community and certainly did not have access to a cultural dance troupe.

So to join AADT and have the opportunity to participate in a range of traditional Asian dances and open-style dance was special. It changed the course of my college experience. An experience like this was never possible before I came to college, and it’ll be unlikely once I graduate.

I’m not calling for students to pursue zero preprofessional clubs throughout their college education — those organizations can be extraordinarily worthwhile, particularly if you balance them out with community-building, leisurely, or otherwise engaging activities. After all, I am writing these words as a staff columnist for The Crimson — nobody’s idea of a carefree college organization.

But when making decisions about what to focus on while at Harvard, I would encourage students to challenge their concept of what is worth their time on campus and to recognize that personal transformation requires more than challenging yourself academically. Intellectual vitality is achieved not just in classrooms, but also in extracurricular spaces that push our limits and allow us to surround ourselves with those who think and feel differently from us.

It will feel unintuitive and even frightening to make such a drastic change from your high school days. But each step into the unknown is a step toward personal fulfillment that ought to excite.

You have just four years here. Join an affinity group. Perform on stage for your classmates. Play board games with your peers every week. The list of activities and organizations to join as students is infinite; the time you have to join them is not. And if you’re worried about balancing extracurricular commitments with jobs you need to pay your bills, keep an eye out for the financial aid and stipend programs many groups offer.

As you go forward into the rest of your college experience, don’t let fear wither away the potential for growth. Embrace your passion and curiosity, and find yourself transformed.

Layla L. Hijjawi ’27, a Crimson Editorial editor, lives in Quincy House.