300-Year-Old Wadsworth House Undergoes Renovations

{shortcode-296f9bc468a141e5dd4db3e87551633a93615010}

Wadsworth House, the second oldest building on Harvard’s campus, is under renovation to improve the structure and accessibility of the building. The project, which began shortly after Commencement in June, is slated to be completed by the end of August 2025 — before the building’s tercentenary celebration in 2026.

Wadsworth House was originally built in 1726 as a home for presidents of Harvard, beginning with Benjamin Wadsworth, Class of 1690. After serving as the home of Harvard presidents for more than century, Wadsworth transitioned into housing for students and other affiliates, and today it houses the Marshal’s Office and other administrative offices.

For the course of the renovations, the Marshal’s Office has moved to the eighth floor of the Smith Campus Center.

Architecture firm Perry & Radford and Consigli Construction are spearheading the renovations. A large portion of the project focuses on improving both the building’s accessibility and compliance with the ADA, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability.

Miguel Escuer Velasquez, a manager for the Wadsworth House project, said that the renovations include installing a wheelchair lift between the first and second floors and reconfiguring existing amenities. Select doorways will also be widened.

“We're now getting a fully accessible kitchenette, as well as improving not only the vertical mobility via the wheelchair lift but also the horizontal mobility across different sections of the building,” Escuer Velasquez said.

While the wheelchair lift will connect the first two floors, it will not be able to reach the third floor due to the historical significance and dimensions of the property. Existing Harvard policies will be followed in addressing accommodations on the third floor, which houses private staff offices.

Justin Stratman, managing director of Harvard University Real Estate and Housing, said the accessibility of Wadsworth House “needed to be brought into the modern age, but doing so while honoring the historical fabric and integrity of the building.”

Wadsworth House poses a challenge for renovators who have made it a key focus to preserve the historical facade of the building. The project team has brought in a conservation specialist, a master carpenter that specializes in historical preservation, and is drawing upon advice from the Cambridge Historical Commission to ensure the wooden exterior is kept true to its past.

The project has also shed light on another side of the building’s history. Four slaves, owned by Benjamin Wadsworth and former Harvard President Edward Holyoke, Class of 1705, during the 1700s, lived in Wadsworth House, and the building serves as a reminder of Harvard’s involvement in slavery. A plaque on the side of the building was dedicated to these four people in 2016, but it has been covered by the ongoing renovations.

The project initially considered removing the plaque during the course of the renovations and storing it safely but has since chosen to keep the plaque in place in order to retain the integrity of the building and its history. In lieu of the plaque being visible, temporary displays have been set up with details about and Harvard’s wider involvement in slavery.

“The big component of a project like this is the unforeseen condition, and what one discovers when you dig into the fabric of a 300 year old structure,” Stratman said.

—Staff Writer Michael R. Carney can be reached at michael.carney@thecrimson.com.

—Staff Writer Danielle J. Im can be reached at danielle.im@thecrimson.com.