Editorials

Harvard Discourse 101: The Editors, on What You Hear About Our School

{shortcode-9d3a7dd5bb84816b0783c2f232d5cd837658eaec}

In an ordinary year, for a brand-new freshman, Harvard’s reputation precedes it. After this extraordinary one, we have to imagine it’s inescapable.

Hearing so much about Harvard before you arrive, it’s natural to assume you really do know what it’s like. But there’s something tricky about Harvard’s reputation: Only a fraction of it comes from what actual Harvard affiliates experience. Your new university matters to a far larger group of people across the world than will ever know it firsthand, and as such, what you’ve heard about it — in movies, in the news, from your great aunt or your dad’s coworker — is at best a sketch and at worst a caricature.

Because we know firsthand how little what people say about Harvard sometimes corresponds with the reality of attending it, we have asked the members of the Editorial Board to share their reflections on Harvard this past year and the discourse surrounding it. Their reflections won’t necessarily match your eventual experience either, but we think they offer something a good deal better than what you’ve seen or heard thus far.

—Tommy Barone ’25 and Jacob M. Miller ’25, Editorial Chairs

***

Outside of the media spectacle that paints Harvard’s campus as a tumultuous, perpetually chaotic space, my reality has shown me the opposite. Here, respectful conversations, cross-cultural understanding, and exploration are my daily reality. Here, I’ve found myself more understood than at any other point in my life.

Without a doubt, there are people I disagree with here. There are times where my friends and I have not felt the most welcome or included. At times, such interactions have filled me with genuine dread, dissatisfaction, and sometimes anger.

But that’s life — it is not a distinctly Harvard phenomenon and never will be.

To the Class of 2028, I say keep an open mind. You already enthusiastically applied to Harvard in the midst of a particularly volatile time for the University. As you begin your journey here this fall, my message to you is simple: continue your faith.

—Jasmine N. Wynn ’27, Crimson Editorial editor

This might be a shock to the media, but not every conversation at Harvard is about the Middle East, or anything academic or political for that matter. We’re literally college students.

Freshmen, college is not a place for “winning” arguments with your peers. If you’re into that, join the debate team. College is a unique chance to live with, learn with, and laugh with people who bring different backgrounds, ideas, and skills to the table.

We’re not supposed to all agree, and not one of us has all the answers. In conversations in Annenberg, tutorial, or your entryway stairwell, you’re allowed to lay down your sword and shield.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t surround yourself with people who share your values, and approach your conversations critically. But it’s possible to talk with someone about issues you care about, listen, disagree with them, and then share a beer and crack jokes with that person over the weekend at a party.

Trust, respect, and friendship make disagreement in conversation more fruitful and constructive. Try it sometime.

—Matthew E. Nekritz ’25, Associate Editorial editor

Most people at Harvard are normal. Most people at Harvard have fun. Most people at Harvard want absolutely nothing to do with any of the stories the media write about us. The fringes of our lives here get reported on heavily; the overwhelmingly regular, wonderful, traditional college experiences that make up the rest do not.

What are Harvard students really doing? We’re having a blast.

—Brooks B. Anderson ’25, Crimson Editorial editor

When the actions of a few turned Harvard into a one-dimensional monolith in the public discourse, students and faculty continued doing what we do best — carrying on in our unwavering pursuit of knowledge. In the news, you see the extremes, and it’s easy to forget the quiet voices of reason in the middle. We are students and scholars first.

While the media focuses on divisive slogans and sensational imagery, Harvard remains a place where diverse perspectives coexist and thrive. This past year, we slowly learned to tune out the exasperating extremes — we kept listening and debating with an open mind as we sought to nuance our understanding of issues that were never black and white.

We are all part of this beautiful, supportive, and, yes, imperfect community we call Harvard; despite the spotlight, remember to always cherish the little things that make it home, from impromptu philosophical debates in Annenberg to late-night walks through the Yard.

—Rohan Nambiar ’27, Crimson Editorial editor

For all the ink spilled over it in the past year, you’d hope our formulation of the problems with open and critical engagement on campuses and in the nation would have improved apace. Unfortunately, I don’t think it has.

When its colleges enter the headlines, it seems to me that America’s thought leaders, professors included, behold them with cloudy eyes. Whether because of generational anxiety or political motives or something else altogether, pundits see rancor on campuses, shout ‘cancel culture’ or ‘wokeness,’ and perhaps point to a favored cause — social media, say, or participation trophies — with precious few specifics.

Moderating tough discussions as editorial chair and participating in them as a student and citizen, I’ve experienced much that disconfirms these analyses. Very few Harvard students are out to cancel you. Nobody’s live-blogging your discussions. Most are left of center but not far beyond it, and they respect views right of theirs.

In other words, you might feel uncomfortable sometimes expressing divergent opinions, but you’re almost certainly not going to get canceled. So, freshmen, I have two pieces of advice: When speaking, brave the discomfort; and when listening, do your very best not to cause it in others.

—Tommy Barone ’25, Crimson Editorial Chair

A magnifying glass has been put on Harvard for months when it comes to protests, faculty disputes, and campus unrest, but our loudest critics fail to mention the togetherness and school spirit that shine through in events like Housing Day. Our turmoil has been in national headlines, but our joy has been lost in all of the noise.

—Hailey E. Krasnikov ’25, Crimson Diversity and Inclusion Chair

Despite media hysteria, Harvard is a place that I feel comfortable calling my home. More than that, it is a place where disagreement, debate, and argument are welcomed.

There have been many times where I have gotten into disagreement, often heated ones, with classmates, friends, and neighbors. Never have I felt like my speech has been stifled, nor have I felt unable to express my opinion.

I have been able to find community and safety within Harvard’s aged walls: people that I am at home with and feel comfortable talking to when things are difficult, that I feel compelled to bounce ideas off of, and whom I respect. No matter what the news or politicians like Rep. Elise M. Stefanik ’06 (R-N.Y.) will tell you, you can find a home at Harvard College.

—Vander O.B. Ritchie ’26, Crimson Editorial editor

The media coverage we received last year was inflammatory and divisive. It was also blown far out of proportion.

Don’t get me wrong, plenty of people protested, posted on social media, and held rallies. Yes, their words and actions were provocative. But, in my experience, they do not constitute the majority of Harvard students.

As I saw it, most people pretty quickly learned to tune out the noise coming from both within Harvard and without. We cared more about getting to class, finishing our psets, and writing our papers than whatever was dominating the news cycle for the day. We were more interested in hanging out with our friends, going to our club meetings, and catching up with people in the dhalls than finding something to be upset about.

So please, don’t be fooled by what you see on the news. Shockingly, it reflects the experiences of the extremes, not the majority in the middle.

—Henry P. Moss, IV ’26, Crimson Editorial editor

Harvard’s still quite a lot of fun. Despite all the gloom and doom (and truly serious issues you’re meant to have conversations about), you’re still in a place that was designed to teach you while giving you a great time, and whatever you think about the ethics of this, it has quite a lot of power to do so. Enjoy!

—Ivan Toth-Rohonyi ’25, Associate Editorial editor

What I often found lost in the coverage of Harvard this past year is the incredible resilience and creativity of its student body. While headlines have focused on controversies and institutional challenges, what’s less talked about is how my peers have continued to find ways to support one another, innovate, and make a difference.

Whether through organizing grassroots initiatives, launching trailblazing startups, or creating spaces for meaningful dialogue, my classmates have shown a remarkable ability to adapt and thrive, even in the face of adversity. This spirit of perseverance and community is a defining part of the Harvard experience — one that inspires and motivates me every day.

—Alvira Tyagi ’25, Crimson Editorial editor

While some outside the gates paint Harvard as a chaotic, hyper-progressive, and monolithic campus, they have mischaracterized our student body. My classmates engage in peaceful dialogue, learn from each other, challenge our beliefs — all in line with the mission of intellectual freedom and vitality.

The media is correct that we face issues — antisemitism, anti-Palestinian sentiment, leadership uncertainty — but what is missing is our unity. More brings us together than divides us. While we all hail from different backgrounds, we are united in our journey to use our education for the common good.

Moving forward, it is important we recognize that while many students may disagree on the critical issues facing our campus, a public policy disagreement should not equate with hating one another. We must learn to disagree better, to engage in stronger dialogue, to make good faith attempts toward constructive conversations. It’s time to prove the critics wrong.

—M. Austen Wyche ’27, Crimson Editorial editor

By far, the most incredible part about Harvard is its student body. Late night conversations in the dining hall with roommates or study groups provide invaluable and immensely educational insights into life inside and outside the Harvard Bubble. Although some of these conversations have transitioned from favorite movies and books to thoughts on the current global crises, respectful conversation and civil debate remain a fundamental part of the Harvard experience.

—Sandhya Kumar ’26, Crimson Editorial editor

Last year was a lesson in listening. Disagreement required a commitment to really hear people in order to respond meaningfully to their words. I wish my advice was more original or compelling, but like others have written: conversation is not a competition. Listen, pause, and take a moment to think before you speak.

—McKenna E. McKrell ’26, Associate Editorial editor

Political discourse on Harvard’s campus was undoubtedly rampant this past year. From scrolling through social media to looking outside my dorm window, the voices of student activists never quieted. Something unanticipated and in my case never experienced, though, was the amount of vastly educational elements amplified by student voices. Alongside protests there were teach-ins held to inform the Harvard community of the significance behind them. Earnest engagement in discourse necessitates being educated, and students provided ample opportunity for education.

—Jaila C. Mabry ’27, Crimson Editorial editor

With the media frenzy that has consumed Harvard, it is tempting to view campus life in black and white. It would be easy to yield to national narratives about our University and designate it as either perfect or irredeemable.

Harvard is neither. Yes, it is a site of bitter disagreement between students. It is also a site of overwhelming support and understanding between students of vastly different backgrounds and ideologies. Yes, it is a place where one can silo themself into their preconceived notions about the world. But it is also a place where one can challenge themself to truly listen to the thousands of new peers they find themself among and learn something.

Class of 2028, be brave and open-minded enough to recognize that Harvard exists in shades of gray — be braver when you choose which shade of Harvard you will contribute to for the next four years.

—Layla L. Hijjawi ’27, Crimson Editorial editor

Harvard is many things: a storied site of learning, a battleground for ideas that shape national politics, and, in some ways, a hedge fund. Grappling with Harvard’s contradictions isn’t easy. Yet, I’ve realized that defining Harvard is essential to being here.

Beyond the media headlines, one learns that despite its issues, Harvard remains an incredible place to be a student. Awaiting you is an incredible education, a vast array of intellectual pursuits, and a campus alive with debate and dissent. It’s impossible to engage this school without having ideas, beliefs, and theories both challenged and enriched. Here, we have a unique opportunity to grow as individuals by confronting the moral questions of our time and exploring the vast fields of human knowledge.

Remember, Harvard’s difficulty isn’t consigned to academics. It is a place of moral, political, and mental rigor. But it’s precisely these challenges that shape its students into leaders.

—Zakiriya H. Gladney ’27, Crimson Editorial editor

Harvard has and will continue to make history. It’s almost inevitable. Your decision to remain active or passive, to engage in empathetic understanding or divisive discord, to make headlines or spend your time reading them will change the way you experience these next four years. Regardless of where you stand on any hot campus issue, be sure to recognize the power you wield as a bright, young student. Follow what is truly within your heart and realize that others are trying to do the same.

—Julia S. Dan ’26, Associate Editorial editor

As the media has pointed out, discourse on campus routinely fails. Harvard, too, has taken note, rolling out various working groups and initiatives to study and remedy the problem. But there has been little attention given to the most obvious impediment facing discussions of controversial issues at Harvard: lack of education.

It is no wonder that rhetoric about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is so simplistic when so many students have not visited the region or read up on its history. And it is quite natural that political discussions break down when neither side has made a good-faith effort to understand the other.

This is not to say that one must be a complete expert on any issue in order to have an opinion. Nor to suggest that there aren’t affiliates who have well-informed views on contentious topics. My point is simply this: In order for discourse to be productive, in order for it to provide educational value to those involved and to onlookers, it must be dominated by individuals whose views are well-substantiated and informed by fact.

So, to the Class of 2028: If you have deep knowledge about a topic, please share it with your peers; if you don’t, there’s no harm in just listening.

—Jacob M. Miller ’25, Crimson Editorial Chair

As my peers rightly note, an oft-unspoken truth about Harvard students is that we are still just that — students. Lack of coverage is not proof of nonexistence, and much of our time is spent in “normal,” less-than-newsworthy ways. We study for hours in the library. We go out on weekends with friends. We pick up the mail and take out the trash.

But there’s another truth missing, too. Though the protests and controversies of the last year were unprecedented in many ways, they were “normal” in many others. Harvard brings together some of the brightest minds from across the globe — this isn't the first time we've seen campus discourse erupt in response to geopolitical or sociopolitical events. Indeed, it is difficult to imagine anything more “normal” for a Harvard student than to ask difficult questions, to voice and debate contentious ideas, and to engage consistently and critically in important conversations.

—E. Matteo Diaz ’27, Crimson Editorial editor

Most of what I read about Harvard this year missed the mark. Major newspapers latched onto decontextualized clips and administrative edicts to produce funhouse-mirror accounts of campus events. Journalists who spent as much time at the University as an average tourist displayed a similar familiarity with the contours of campus discourse.

But interspersed within the outsider punditry was genuinely incisive analysis of the events of the last year — mostly coming from behind Johnston Gate. Some professors offered perceptive, firsthand accounts of last year’s leadership crisis and the Harvard Yard Encampment. Our Editorial Board weighed in thoughtfully as well.

To the Class of 2028: Lots of people talk about Harvard. Don’t forget to speak for yourselves.

—Saul I.M. Arnow ’26, Associate Editorial editor

Harvard students care very much about their passions and perspectives. This care secured our places here and, after all, is what makes Harvard, Harvard.

However, in caring so deeply about what matters to us, we inevitably lose perspective and struggle to understand how others reach different positions. After all, our understandings stem from personal, lived experiences — or the true experiences of others with whom we strongly empathize. Unfortunately, this struggle often leads us to disparage other perspectives that are not our own.

We must combat this struggle in order to engage in good faith discussions. As soon as we disregard the lived experiences of others, we lose the good faith that productive discourse requires. In doing so, we forget that there is actually beauty in this variety of experience. I am reminded of sonder — the understanding that everyone lives complex and rich lives different from our own.

Class of 2028, do not stop caring. Care deeply not only for the perspectives that are true to you, but also for the beautiful diversity of experience that makes us human.

—Calvin D. Alexander, Jr. ’27, Crimson Editorial editor

It’s disheartening to step into a conversation and feel as if every point you make is dismissed and overlooked. It’s as though the person you’re engaging with is simply waiting for their turn to speak, turning the dialogue into a monologue — like you’re being lectured rather than truly listened to.

Blaming others for this behavior is often really easy, but it’s harder to confront that you might be guilty of doing the same. Genuine dialogue with those who hold different ideas and beliefs can be incredibly rewarding, if only you’re willing to listen.

—Sidnee N. Klein ’25, Crimson Editorial editor