Harvard Settles High-Profile Lawsuit Over Comaroff Harassment Allegations

{shortcode-c47ac69ba9f64c7edbc639bb965c0ecf9e1ce637}

Updated August 15, 2024, at 8:44 a.m.

Three graduate students who sued Harvard in 2022 over its handling of sexual harassment allegations against professor John L. Comaroff settled with the University, according to a Wednesday court filing.

The parties agreed to dismiss the case without costs and with prejudice.

The plaintiffs — Margaret G. Czerwienski, Lilia M. Kilburn, and Amulya Mandava — alleged that Harvard failed to take action after learning Comaroff had sexually harassed two of his graduate students, including Kilburn. The lawsuit also alleged that Harvard’s decision not to investigate Title IX complaints allowed Comaroff to retaliate against Czerwienski and Mandava for warning other students he had engaged in sexual misconduct.

The students’ lawsuit moved to mediation in November 2023. The confidential process was overseen by Magistrate Judge M. Paige Kelly.

Allegations against Comaroff, who held appointments in the Anthropology and African and African American Studies departments, first came to light in a 2020 Crimson investigation.

Comaroff and his attorneys have repeatedly denied the allegations against him.

In Aug. 2020, then-Faculty of Arts and Sciences Dean Claudine Gay put Comaroff on paid leave. After a pair of Harvard investigations found he had violated the FAS’ professional conduct and sexual harassment policies, Gay placed Comaroff on unpaid leave. Comaroff faced sanctions that barred him from teaching required courses through at least fall 2023.

Comaroff retired in June without receiving emeritus status. It is unclear whether he has since been granted emeritus status.

Sanford Heisler Sharp, the law firm representing the three graduate students, welcomed the settlement in a Wednesday evening statement.

“We’re proud of our clients’ courage in coming forward, speaking up about their experiences, and shedding light on important issues,” the firm wrote. “We are glad that our clients will now be able to move on with their lives and careers.”

Harvard did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Wednesday. An attorney for Comaroff, who was not a party to the case, declined to comment.

—Staff writer Tilly R. Robinson can be reached at tilly.robinson@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @tillyrobin.