Second Individual Charged in Connection to Donnelly Field Shooting

{shortcode-bb8dcbeba68cc0558a41d295acbd1171401962ed}

The Cambridge Police Department arrested a second individual in connection with a shooting at Donnelly Field that occurred last month, the department announced in a press release Thursday.

In the statement, CPD announced the arrest of 19-year-old Machyus Battle, who they believe is connected to the May 23 shooting at Donnelly Field, where two individuals were non-fatally shot.

Brattle, a Cambridge resident, was arraigned Monday on eight charges in Cambridge District Court, including assault with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery by discharge of a firearm, and carrying a dangerous weapon on school grounds. Brattle was previously arrested by the Boston Police Department last year in connection with a gunfight near a playground in Roxbury.

Brattle could not be reached for comment on his most recent charges. He is the second individual to be arrested in connection to the Donnelly Field shooting.

Immediately following the incident, CPD announced the arrest of 23-year-old Yonayvi Cruceta, who allegedly shot one of the victims. At the time of the arrest, the department noted that Cruceta had engaged in an exchange of gunfire with an unknown party, which resulted in the victim’s injuries.

Despite the announcement of a second arrest, the CPD’s investigation into the shooting remains ongoing.

In Thursday’s announcement, the department wrote that an “alleged argument” between Battle and Cruceta preceded the shooting.

“Following a brief interaction, an exchange of gunfire occurred between Battle and Cruceta,” the statement read. “Cruceta was wounded as well as a 22-year-old female victim who also suffered a gunshot wound, believed to be from a stray bullet fired by one of the parties.”

Battle will remain detained until he faces a “dangerousness hearing” on Tuesday to determine whether or not he will be granted pretrial release.

— Staff writer Sally E. Edwards can be reached at sally.edwards@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @sallyedwards04 or on Threads @sally_edwards06.