Cambridge LGBTQ+ Housing Task Force Launches 2024 Resident Survey

{shortcode-0a984a4209855b14d349b7a89630e9051498375b}

The City of Cambridge LGBTQ+ Friendly Housing Task Force released their 2024 survey last Thursday to collect data from LGBTQ Cambridge residents on how to improve their housing options.

The 2024 survey, accepting responses from Feb. 6 through Feb. 16, aims to give LGBTQ Cambridge residents the opportunity to share their experiences, ideas, and hopes for LGBTQ-friendly housing and spaces in Cambridge.

Carolina Almonte, the executive director of the LGBTQ+ Commission, said the survey would inform an evaluation of “all opportunities” for changing housing policy to be more inclusive.

“We’re looking at application forms, what currently is missing, what’s happening that needs to be improved,” Almonte said. “Really, how can we make Cambridge a more welcoming place?”

“We want to hear from community members — directly from them — about any recommendations, what they would like to see in housing, what they’re currently seeing, and what would be on their wish list to improve housing,” Almonte added.

As the results of the survey are compiled, the task force is working with a consultant to compile a report to be given to City Manager Yi-An Huang ’05 by fall 2024.

The 11-person task force operates in several working groups co-chaired by Housing Liaison Maura Pensak, Almonte, and Phoebe West the project coordinator for the Office of the Housing Liaison.

The task force is completely comprised of volunteers who choose which working groups they want to join, according to Almonte.

“All of the task force members are really eager and bring really insightful contributions to the work and the scope and the mission of the task force,” Almonte said.

“We’ve gotten a lot of great responses so far. We are excited to get more responses,” Almonte added.

—Staff writer Laurel M. Shugart can be reached at laurel.shugart@thecrimson.com. Follow them on X @laurelmshugart or on Threads @laurel.shugart.