40 Thorndike Brings 20 Stories of Housing, Office, and Retail Space to Kendall

{shortcode-7762101e558464e358e6cac52dde0843c820d849}

After more than a decade of renovation, private developers unveiled 40 Thorndike last Wednesday — introducing 20 stories of housing, office, and retail space that replaces the former Edward J. Sullivan Courthouse and jail in East Cambridge.

The development features more than 400,000 square feet of office space on its upper floors, while the second and third floors provide 48 units of permanently affordable housing under the city’s inclusionary zoning policy.

The development team — a partnership between Leggat McCall Properties, Granite Properties and CBRE Investment Management — purchased the property from the state in 2019. Initially slated for completion in fall 2023, the project faced delays due to the building’s deteriorated condition and neighborhood concerns about densification.

The building was purchased in “vacant and obsolete” condition, according to a Wednesday press release from the developers. The jail had been empty since 2014, when it was vacated due to safety issues, including asbestos and faulty air conditioning.

While the development team is currently showing office space to potential tenants, the housing falls under the city’s inclusionary zoning — meaning that occupancy of these units is overseen by the Cambridge Community Development Department.

The city’s inclusionary zoning requires a portion of units to remain affordable for tenants earning less than 80 percent of the area median income. In the area of Boston, Cambridge, and Quincy, median income ranges from $104,200 for a one-person household to $148,900 for a family of four.

No residents have been chosen yet. The CDD will choose tenants over the next few months, CDD Housing Director Chris Cotter said.

In addition to office space and affordable housing, the ground floor will include “retail, restaurant, childcare, and meeting spaces,” as well as 362 parking spaces.

The development’s proximity to Kendall Square – less than 15 minutes from the Kendall/MIT subway station – will create a “unique conversion opportunity for revitalization,” the team’s Wednesday press release read.

The project has also received certifications for environmental sustainability and health and wellness.

“Forty Thorndike now delivers on that promise with renewed optimism offering a high-quality sustainable asset for business and residents,” said Rob Dickey, executive vice president and partner at Leggat McCall Properties.

—Staff writer Laurel M. Shugart can be reached at laurel.shugart@thecrimson.com. Follow them on X @laurelmshugart or on Threads @laurel.shugart.

—Staff writer Grace E. Yoon can be reached at grace.yoon@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @graceunkyoon.