Harvard-Yale Supplement 2023: Letter from the Editors

{shortcode-fb631ac22e572c309b1a6a18c84afa4b7a84f8d8}

The annual Harvard-Yale game is the crown jewel of Ivy League athletics. Held every year on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, ‘The Game’ draws tens of thousands of students, loyal alumni, and parents to the grand spectacle of a tradition that goes back more than a century.

This famed four-quarter duel is more than just a game: it's a hallmark of the student experience at Harvard and Yale. It overflows with passion and a burning desire to return home victorious. From the moment of the coin toss to the second the clock hits triple zeroes, spectators wait with bated breath and anticipation to see who will storm the field to celebrate their school with pride.

But this year, there’s more on the line than just bragging rights — while the Crimson has already clinched a share of the Ivy League title, its hated rival from New Haven can grab a share of their own with a win on Saturday at the Yale Bowl. Dartmouth could force a three-way tie if both the Bulldogs and the Big Green emerge victorious on Saturday.

Our writers have covered everything — from the history, to key players, to football lingo — to capture the incredible impact this game has on athletes and all those who watch, in an attempt to encapsulate something so very Harvard. In this special Harvard-Yale supplement from the Sports writers at The Crimson, we try to catch just that through these stories of Harvard affiliates and beyond.

— MBB & ABS