Women's Water Polo Goes 1-3 at Home Tournament

The weekend proved to be a tough one for the Harvard women’s water polo team (5-6, 0-1 CWPA). Although the Crimson held the Harvard Invitational at Blodgett Pool, the team went 1-3 overall.

Ranked No. 19, the hosts defeated No. 13 Marist but fell to No. 21 Wagner, No. 16 UC San Diego, and No. 11 Princeton.

NO. 21 WAGNER 4, NO. 19 HARVARD 3

Harvard’s early efforts fell short in its Sunday afternoon showdown with Wagner (5-9). Ultimately the Crimson dropped a tight game in the final quarter.

It was the Seahawks who struck first in the final day of play at the Harvard Invite, taking a 1-0 lead over Harvard. Yet a goal from senior Michelle Martinelli put the Crimson right back in it.

Following a score by junior Sami Strutner off a feed from senior Eela Nagaraj, Harvard held a 3-1 lead heading into the half.

Wagner scored in the third frame to cut into the Crimson’s advantage. Entering the fourth quarter, Harvard was up 3-2.

Two points from the Seahawks went unanswered in the final eight minutes, as they went on to win 4-3 in the tight contest.

NO. 19 HARVARD 10, NO. 23 MARIST 9

The Crimson snapped a three-game losing streak on Saturday night, beating Marist (6-7) in another close matchup.

After falling behind 1-0 to start the first frame, Harvard responded with two goals from sophomore Kristen Hong and freshman Sofia Carrera-Justiz. Yet the Red Foxes matched both, making the score 3-2 as the first quarter of play closed.

With help from two seniors on senior night, the Crimson battled back. Martinelli scored to tie the game at 5-5 before Zoe Osborne put the ball in the net to put Harvard ahead by one.

“The team has been playing with our usual passion and fight,” Osborne said. “We just need to finish our opportunities.”

After three quarters of tight competition, both teams entered the final eight minutes with seven scores apiece. The Crimson looked to finish.

Two goals from Hong put Harvard up by two, but Marist continued to battle to the end. The Red Foxes matched Hong’s efforts to tie the game at a score of 9-9.