NOTEBOOK: Men's Basketball Bricks Three Final Chances in the End of an Era

{shortcode-7e10618c797e808bb6bdd1e2a11a8b1d433f9700}

Clang. Clang. Clang.

With less than a minute to go—the Harvard men’s basketball team (22-8, 11-3 Ivy) saw three chances to take the lead. Thrice the Crimson got a look it would take again, barely contested threes by its two best scorers, senior wing Wesley Saunders and junior co-captain Siyani Chambers.

Miss. Miss. Miss.

The result: a heartbreaking 67-65 loss to North Carolina (25-11, 11-7 ACC) in the second round of the NCAA Tournament and an introduction to the darker side of March. After winning second-round games in consecutive years, the Crimson found itself on the other side of the coin: shocked at the podium, avoiding eyes and muttering answers.

“This obviously isn’t the finish that I wanted to have, but we knew it was going to end eventually,” Saunders said.

CONTROLLING THE PACE

The game was billed as a contrast of styles: while Harvard grinded its way through Ivy play, averaging 52.5 points in its two biggest wins over rival Yale, Tar Heels coach Roy Williams said a day ago that he’d rather win in the 80s than in the 50s.

Throughout Thursday’s contest, the diverging game plans were evident. North Carolina ran out after every defensive rebound, generating a fast-break opportunity on its second possession, its last, and many in between. The most crucial came late. Tied at 65, Tar Heel junior J.P. Tokoto pulled down a Chambers miss with 31 seconds remaining and found a streaking Marcus Paige. In a two-on-one against sophomore Corbin Miller, Paige played it perfectly, finding Justin Jackson for a fast break dunk.

“We knew coming into the basketball game how challenging it was going to be with their transition game and then their offensive rebounding,” Harvard coach Tommy Amaker said.

{shortcode-5e3d67f7fb4e67c36a448c76abd7b2c989733154}

For the game, the Crimson largely kept the pace in its favor. While Harvard was outscored on fast break points, 10-2, it committed only seven turnovers—every time the Tar Heels went out and running, it was off a long rebound. The Crimson outscored North Carolina, 29-6, on points off of turnovers, forcing 17 mistakes and keeping itself in the game amidst tough shooting (38.2 percent from the field).

“You’ve gotta give Harvard credit for driving me whacko,” said Tar Heels coach Roy Williams afterwards. 

DOING IT ALL 

All game, the Crimson turned to Saunders when it couldn’t find offense elsewhere. Saunders was responsible, through point or assist, for 38 of the Crimson’s 65 points on the night. He had the first 10 points for the Crimson and 15 of the 25 in the first half, escaping Tokoto with an array of spin moves and crossovers.