Editorials

Benefits for Allston

Harvard is on the right path with its Allston community benefits package

The Harvard Allston Education Portal recently revealed new plans for a community facility that will include performing arts space, an innovation studio, meeting spaces, and an art gallery. The development is part of a broader community benefits package that is one aspect of Harvard’s long-term plan for building in Allston.

We support the creation of a community space in Allston as part of Harvard’s development in the area. Harvard should continue to demonstrate its commitment to the community of Allston by providing tangible, important benefits to the community. To that end, while we greatly support the development of the community facility, we also stress the importance of Harvard’s previous promise to fund ideas related to housing and education, which would provide many opportunities for the community.

Harvard has an obligation to support and assist the community in Allston, especially since Harvard will not pay taxes on its land holdings there. Harvard’s efforts will also compensate for some of the potential disruptions to the Allston community, from traffic noise, as construction begins.

But it is not just because of Harvard’s obligations that we support this plan. We believe that Harvard has the potential to create remarkable opportunities for the community. Bringing more students, professors, and staff to the area would increase traffic to stores and boost the area’s economy, while the educational opportunities that Harvard can offer to community members is unparalleled. Harvard, as an institution with vast resources and great academic strength, has the ability to strengthen Allston by providing great economic benefits, offering innovative housing packages, and putting forth new educational opportunities.

We believe that Harvard is on the right path to accomplishing these objectives. We applaud its efforts, and stress the necessity of continually revisiting its plans and meeting with members of the Allston community to ascertain that it is doing its utmost to fulfill its obligations and seize the opportunity to make Allston a more vibrant community.