Women's Tennis Splits Road Matches to Close Season

The Crimson (10-6, 2-2 Ivy) lost to Princeton, 5-2, and beat Penn, 4-3, to split their matches on the weekend and stay at .500 in the Ivy League as the season comes to a close.

Harvard struggled in the doubles matches, usually a team strength, as the team dropped the doubles point to both the Tigers and the Quakers. While the Crimson could not come back against No. 69th Princeton, the Crimson fought back against the Quakers to take home the win on Sunday.

“We lost to Princeton, but we were able to end on a high note with a win over Penn,” freshman Spencer Liang said. “I think even though we had some tough matches in there everyone fought really hard, and that’s how we won today.”

HARVARD 4, PENN 3

With the match tied at 3-all, it was up to senior captain Hannah Morrill to clinch the victory for Harvard at Penn’s Hamlin Tennis Center. Morrill rose to the challenge and rallied in the third set to take down Quaker freshman Luba Vazhenina and win the match for the Crimson in a thrilling 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 decision at fifth singles.

“It was really suspenseful and made all of us pretty nervous, honestly,” freshman June Lee said. “She was up in the tiebreaker at first, but the other girl came back and tied it up, and it was a one point difference for a while. We just kept encouraging her on the sidelines, and she pulled it out.”

Morrill’s win followed an equally gritty comeback by her teammates, who battled back after a doubles point loss and Liang’s defeat at first singles put Harvard in a 2-0 hole early in the match. A win from Amanda Lin and Amy He at third doubles gave the Crimson the initial advantage but was followed by two quick defeats at the hands of the Quakers as Penn earned the doubles point.