Women's Hockey Winless in First Road Double

Riding a pair of wins to open its 2014-2015 campaign, the Harvard women’s ice hockey suffered its first setback of the season.

Kicking off a five-game road stint, the Crimson (2-1-1, 2-1-1 ECAC) couldn’t finish off a win in a pair of overtime contests, settling for a tie on Friday against Clarkson (9-3-1, 4-0-1) and dropping a 5-4 decision against St. Lawrence (6-5-1, 3-2-0) the following evening.

“[It was] obviously disappointing,” junior Miye D’Oench said. “You never want to walk away from a road trip with one point. Especially with two overtime games, we really felt like we were right there.”

ST. LAWRENCE 5, HARVARD 4

Facing a two-goal deficit midway through the second period, the Crimson mounted a strong comeback but could not come up with a win in its 5-4 overtime loss to Saints.

Harvard found itself in a 1-0 hole early off a power play goal by junior forward Jenna Marks. But Crimson co-captain Samantha Reber put Harvard right back in it ten seconds later with a strike of her own to even the score.

Sophomore forward Sydney Daniels added a score to put the Crimson up, 2-1, but St. Lawrence stormed back with three unanswered goals to give the Saints a 4-2 edge heading into the tail end of the second frame.

“We just had some bad bounces at the beginning of the game,” D’Oench said. “[We had] some defensive breakdowns that led to their opportunities. But I thought we put pressure on them from start to finish.”

Despite outshooting St. Lawrence, 13-5, in the second period, the Crimson could only muster one goal from senior Hillary Crowe, who netted her first of the season with four minutes to go in the middle frame to cut into the Saints’ lead.

“We didn’t panic,” Reber said. “We knew we had the ability to come back and hopefully win the game. In general, we just got better and better as the game went on.”

The Crimson continued to press the Saints, outshooting the home team, 8-6, in the final minutes of play. With less than two minutes in regulation, D’Oench scored the equalizer, sending the Crimson into its second overtime period in as many nights.

But Harvard couldn’t find the back of the net in the overtime, as St. Lawrence’s Kayla Raniwsky drilled in the game winner just over a minute into extended time, sending the Crimson home with its first loss of the season.

HARVARD 2, CLARKSON 2

After jumping out to a 2-0 lead, the Crimson settled for a tie in Potsdam, N.Y.

Freshman forward Haley Mullins got Harvard on the board less than 90 seconds into the first frame with an unassisted goal. The Crimson added another when Sydney Daniels scored her second of the season eight minutes into the second period.