Updates on the Situation at Harvard During the Manhunt in Greater Boston

UPDATED: April 20, 2013, at 4:38 a.m.

In this space, The Crimson will provide updates on the situation at Harvard as the manhunt in the greater Boston metropolitan area progresses. To share information, please email news@thecrimson.com.

4:38 a.m., 4/20/13 The Crimson has captured video from the Boston Common, where local residents gathered to celebrate the capture of Boston marathon bombings suspect Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev.

3:46 a.m. 4/20/13 The manhunt for Cambridge resident Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev left the greater Boston area in a state of lockdown and spanned about a seven-mile area from Cambridge to Watertown. The Crimson has compiled an interactive map outlining important locations from the chase.

12:29 a.m., 4/20/13 The Boston area and state officials celebrated following the arrest of a suspect in Monday's Boston Marathon Bombings. Crimson photographers were on the scene taking photographs around Boston.

10:05 p.m., 4/19/13 Our photographs from throughout the day: The Scene in Harvard Square Friday Morning; Student Life at Harvard Continues with Greater Boston Area on Lockdown; Rush Hour in Harvard Square on Friday; and Students Follow the Breaking News. Photos from Watertown to come later.

9:57 p.m., 4/19/13 Harvard Square is quiet after the conclusion of the manhunt that paralyzed the greater Boston area throughout the day on Friday. Our reporters on the scene say that foot and vehicular traffic has picked up and stores have reopened. At least for now, there are no organized celebrations outside.

9:39 p.m., 4/19/13 Our reporters are on the scene at the Arsenal Mall press conference. Follow @npfandos for live coverage.

9:37 p.m., 4/19/13 Dean of the College Evelynn M. Hammonds sent an email to the College around 9:20 p.m., acknowledging that the previous day's manhunt that ended in the apprehension of a Boston Marathon bombings suspect had "been a long and difficult ordeal for our community."

In the email, she listed the various mental health services available on campus, encouraging students to reach out to their House administrators and utilize the resources at Harvard University Health Services in the coming days.

9:17 p.m., 4/19/13 University President Drew G. Faust and Dean of the College Evelynn M. Hammonds stopped into Annenberg Hall during Friday's dinner hour to talk with undergraduates who had been kept inside most of the day because of an active manhunt for a suspected Boston marathon bomber. Provost Alan M. Garber '76 stopped by each of the Quad houses, as well, talking with students there.

9:05 p.m., 4/19/13 Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid William R. Fitzsimmons '67 told The Crimson Friday night that officials are considering the possibility of granting an extension for accepted students to accept or decline their offers of admission to the College. Admitted students currently have until May 1 to reply.

Fitzsimmons said the Admissions Office will "monitor the situation as we go along," adding that there may be "some specific situations where students will need more information from either students or faculty as we go along."

Fitzsimmons also said "it's absolutely impossible to know" if the cancellation of Visitas, the annual admitted students visiting weekend, will have an impact on the Class of 2017's yield. "This is an unprecedented event," Fitzsimmons said, "and it's very difficult to know how it might go."

7:43 p.m., 4/19/13 As reports come in from Watertown, Dean of the College Evelynn M. Hammonds sent an email to students at approximately 7:30 p.m.  urging them to remain vigilant.