Women's Water Polo Caps off Season by Taking Seventh Place

The Harvard women’s water polo team finished its season Sunday after clinching seventh place in the College Water Polo Association’s Eastern Division.

Seeded seventh, the Crimson held its seed over the three-day tournament by splitting its games, 2-2, and bookended the weekend with significant wins.

“We were hoping to improve on our seed, but we played well this season,” Harvard coach Ted Minnis said.

Minnis said the brightest spots of the weekend were when Harvard was keeping pace with its ranked opponents, No. 11 Indiana and No. 12 Princeton before eventually falling.

“It just shows that we’re right there banging down the door of top-twenty teams,” Minnis said.

HARVARD 11, BUCKNELL 3

The Crimson finished its season on a positive note Sunday afternoon in a decisive win over the Bison.

“Beating Bucknell was special because it was the last time that our team will play together,” Minnis said. “It was special that they got to go out with a win.”

For the fourth time this season, the Crimson cruised to a victory over the Bison, despite coming off two rough losses against Indiana and Princeton.

Six Harvard players contributed goals in the win, including all four of the Crimson seniors.

Co-captain Shannon Purcell and junior attacker Aisha Price scored three goals apiece.

By halftime, Harvard held a 6-2 lead, which it extended in the second frame thanks to a 5-1 run.

INDIANA 7, HARVARD 5

After falling behind, 5-1, against Indiana in the first quarter of Saturday’s game, the Crimson finally hit its stride with two minutes left in the first half.

“We came back…and played well from then on out,” Minnis said. “We had opportunities to beat Indiana, but we just got unlucky and didn’t convert when we needed to.”