Crimson Hands Tigers First Defeat

Harvard takes first place after winning home contest against Princeton

After the final buzzer went off Friday night, only one women’s basketball team remained at the top of the Ivy League: Harvard.

Following Crimson sophomore Victoria Lippert’s three-pointer from the top of the arc—which had turned a one-point deficit into a two-point lead—a crowded Lavietes Pavilion witnessed her teammate Christine Clark drain a closely defended jumper with only 45 seconds left, giving Harvard a four-point advantage from which Princeton (14-4, 3-1 Ivy) never recovered.

Up to that point, a 9-0 Tiger run late in the second period had allowed the visitors to tie and surpass its hosts, but the Harvard women’s basketball team (12-6, 4-0) came up with the critical shots to prevail in the end, 73-67.

“This win was really big,” Crimson coach Kathy Delaney-Smith said. “Princeton has been a really dominant team, not only in the Ivy League, but they have also done some really good stuff outside of the league...Harvard and Dartmouth have dominated [over the years], but now all of a sudden Princeton comes in.”

Clark finished as the top scorer of the night, posting 18 points to go along with five rebounds. Lippert was third on the team with 14 points and seven boards.

After the first half ended with Harvard on top, 35-25, the Tigers clawed their way back into the game, hitting tough shots from long distance to keep the score close.

Guard Laura Johnson was critical to the team’s efforts, scoring 16 points on 4-of-7 shooting from downtown.

Junior point guard Brogan Berry, who scored 17 points on the night, was the glue that kept the team together down the stretch, setting up critical plays for her teammates and taking over when necessary.

With less than seven minutes to play and the shot clock winding down, Berry drove to the hoop, only to step back and sink a jumper to set the score at 57-50.

“We wanted to get Brogan on those isolations because she had been hitting them all game,” Clark said.

“If you’re blessed with someone who can take you off the dribble, that’s [the play] almost everybody [calls],” Delaney-Smith said of allowing Berry to take over the game.

Tiger guard Krystal Hill then scored on two consecutive possessions, draining a high-arcing three and then coming up with a steal leading to a fast-break layup. Berry tried to go strong to the hoop again but couldn’t get her shot off, and Princeton’s Devona Allgood made an inside shot on the ensuing possession to tie the score at 57.

It was then Harvard’s turn to respond. Berry ran along the baseline and found forward Miriam Rutzen, who caught the pass and quickly banked in a shot. The sophomore had nine points and five rebounds in 28 minutes of play.

The Tigers responded quickly, as junior guard Lauren Edwards sank a trey to give the Tigers their first lead of the game, 60-59. Edwards finished the game with nine points on 2-of-10 shooting.

Senior Emma Markley, who totaled nine points, tried to score on the other end, but the ball rolled in and out, allowing Princeton to come back for more.