Crimson Empire State Road Trip Results in Split Record

Get Biega
Robert L. Ruffins

Junior Danny Biega, shown above in earlier action, found the equalizer against St. Lawrence on Saturday when the defensman buried a one-time shot to tie the game at two. Biega had also scored in the Crimson’s 3-2 win against Clarkson thanks to several deflections in front of the net.

As most of the school focused on New Haven this weekend, the Harvard men’s hockey team split a pair of decisions in northern New York, beating Clarkson (7-4-3, 2-3-1 ECAC), 3-2, Friday evening before falling, 4-3, to St. Lawrence (4-6-0, 4-2-0) on Saturday night.

The power play was the story of the weekend. After a successful penalty kill in the final minutes of Friday night’s game, the Crimson (2-2-1, 2-2-1) could not replicate that success the following evening, allowing two goals when down one man in the loss.

“It’s always tough to go on the road and get the win … especially in the North Country [of Northern New York],” sophomore defenseman Dan Ford said. “But we were disappointed to miss a good opportunity to complete the sweep Saturday night.”

ST. LAWRENCE 4, HARVARD 3

Coming off of a strong team performance the night before, the Crimson came into the Appleton Arena Saturday night looking to build on its .500 record.

Despite an early lead and an even game late in the final period, Harvard could not defend a youthful Saints offense, led by freshman forwards Chris Martin and Gunnar Hughes, in the 4-3 loss.

Five minutes into the game, the Crimson converted its first power-play opportunity on freshman defenseman Patrick McNally’s second goal of the season. McNally’s score was one of four by Harvard defensemen this weekend.

Two minutes later, Martin fired a rebound past freshman goalkeeper Steve Michalek on a St. Lawrence five-on-four advantage. The power play would define the opening two periods, as each team converted its first pair of opportunities, including senior forward Jacob Drewiske’s strike that gave the Saints the lead with five minutes left in the first period.

The power-play goals from St. Lawrence left the Crimson disappointed in its penalty killing.

“On the road, you got to do the little things right,” Ford said. “They have the advantage of playing at home, and you don’t want to give them easy opportunities to score goals.”

Just moments into the second frame, Harvard leveled the game at two when defenseman Danny Biega hit a one-time shot past sophomore goalkeeper Matt Weninger. The goal was the junior’s second on the weekend.

Michalek made 28 saves on the day, including a stop on a two-on-one breakaway, but the Saints again reclaimed the lead on Martin’s second goal of the day halfway through the second period.

St. Lawrence maintained that lead for almost 20 minutes of play. Midway through the third, Ford scored another equalizer to even the game at three.

But the tie did not last for long, as Hughes scored three minutes later to put the Saints in the lead for good.

HARVARD 3, CLARKSON 2