Editorials

Winds of Change

Despite preservation concerns, alternative energy should be a Nantucket Sound priority

Last week—in the newest addition to the ongoing Cape Wind saga—Massachusetts’s top historic preservation official took a public stand against the alternative-energy project, on grounds that two Native American tribes have ties to the land and water in question. While we understand that certain natural spaces hold significance for specific groups of people, climate change poses a pressing and collective threat to the planet as a whole. It is unlikely that anyone would seek to oppose natural beauty or historic-land preservation in theory; however, such concerns must be weighed against the opportunity to increase sustainability, create jobs, and reduce electricity prices. With these considerations in mind, it is clear that the Cape Wind project should come to fruition.

According to a report by the Charles River Associates, the creation of wind farms would reduce the cost of electricity in New England by $185 million per year and $4.6 billion over 25 years. In the process, it will also create jobs in manufacturing and assembling, among other areas. Given the current state of the economy, job-creating initiatives are vital. Considering New England’s January and February unemployment rates, which show a widespread increase, Cape Wind provides a perfect opportunity to reverse such trends.

Of arguably greater importance, the wind farm promises to steer America toward use of alternative energy. Given that the movement for a wind farm in Nantucket Sound began in 2001 and has been very highly publicized, advocates for climate change mitigation cannot afford to lose this battle. Nor, it seems, can the planet.

While some may argue against Cape Wind because of their ties to Nantucket Sound, these individuals will also reap the benefits of widespread alternative energy usage. Moreover, Cape Wind will help far more people than it hurts. While it will restrict relatively few residents’ view, its economic benefits will reverberate throughout New England. Furthermore, its environmental benefits may be felt worldwide, if other wind farm projects follow the Nantucket example. The collective good, therefore, must be prioritized over localized interests, and such individual sacrifices are necessary in the global fight against climate change.

The concerns voiced by Nantucket residents looking to preserve the cultural history of the area, and Native American tribes with ties to the land, are certainly real to those concerned. However, Nantucket itself has arguably already felt the effects of climate change. The historic Sankaty Head Lighthouse was moved in October, 2007 due to bluff erosion. Beach erosion has threatened the habitat of piping plovers, as well as the houses of residents. By reducing Massachusetts greenhouse gas emissions, Cape Wind would contribute to a global effort toward sustainablilty—a move that could eventually help reduce the rise in sea levels that contribute to erosion. Although it will undoubtedly be hard for many residents of Nantucket to see their Sound visually altered, alternative energy will help prevent the destruction of other historic areas in the long run.