Co-Captains Shine in Lopsided Losses

JP Morgan
Noor M.R. Beckwith

Co-captain J.P. O’Connor, shown here in earlier action, couldn’t do much about the team score against Columbia and No. 6 Cornell this weekend, but the All-American grappler continued his strong campaign, finishing the regular season undefeated after two more dual wins. Top-ranked O’Connor is 26-0.

The dual season is over, but for some, the journey is just beginning.

The Harvard wrestling team (2-14-1, 0-5 Ivy) closed out the regular season with another pair of difficult losses on the road, falling to Columbia, 30-15, on Friday night before suffering a 44-6 blowout at the hands of No. 6 Cornell on Saturday. The Crimson was outmuscled in both contests, but co-captains J.P. O’Connor and Louis Caputo remained in dominant form, earning four of the team’s five wins on the weekend.

“I thought we made progress with what we’ve been working on—individual guys making progress,” Harvard coach Jay Weiss said. “Obviously [against Cornell] we were kind of overmatched...but I feel really good about some of the efforts.”

Although the Crimson endured another disappointing year of team competition, the end of Ivy League matches signals a shift to the squad’s strength—individual tournaments. Various Harvard grapplers will join No. 1 O’Connor and No. 6 Caputo in the hunt for EIWA championships and, perhaps, a national title.

“I’m so excited right now—I’ve never been more confident, and I don’t think I’ve ever wrestled better,” O’Connor said. “Nothing would make me happier than bringing home a national title for this program, for myself, and for my family. And the great thing is that I’m not the only one pushing for that. Louis is pushing for the exact same goal as I am...He’s been there for me since I’ve gotten here, and I appreciate that.”

NO. 6 CORNELL 44, HARVARD 6

The Big Red put on a show in Ithaca, proving why six of its grapplers are ranked in the top 20 nationally. Troy Nickerson, Mike Grey, Justin Kerber, Mack Lewnes, and Cam Simaz all won by fall against their Crimson counterparts, securing Cornell’s (8-4-1, 4-0) 31st Ancient Eight crown, the squad’s eighth straight. Even though the Big Red claimed its 43rd-consecutive league dual match, by the end of the day, the hosts were not the only ones boasting a streak.

O’Connor (157 lbs.) capped off an undefeated regular season with a 7-2 decision over Derek Schreiner. The senior standout used two early takedowns to build a lead and did not let up. O’Connor followed with a second-period reversal and, despite giving up a third-period score, maintained control for the rest of the bout.

“J.P. is looking good,” Weiss said. “I’m really pleased with [everyone’s] training. I just think they can do anything they want to [in the postseason].”

O’Connor concluded the year at 26-0 with his 15th dual win. Still, the top-ranked grappler saved praise for his co-captain, who also extended a hefty winning streak. Caputo earned a 5-0 win over No. 16 Steve Bosak, his second in as many weeks against a highly-touted opponent.

“Louis had a big win doing what he usually does,” O’Connor said. “And he did so in convincing fashion. It wasn’t even a close match.”

Despite a scoreless opening period, Caputo took off in the second. The senior started on bottom, but managed a reversal and showed his strength in the top position. After holding Bosak scoreless in the second, Caputo notched a takedown early in the final frame to widen his lead. With his 17th win of the season, the co-captain pushed his unbeaten streak to 12 matches.

Unfortunately for the Crimson, none of its other competitors could keep pace. With the dual season closing on a sour note, O’Connor expressed some frustration at the toll that injuries took on Harvard.

“It’s kind of been a trend since I’ve been here,” said O’Connor about the number of sidelined grapplers. “We just don’t have the depth that other schools have. We need a little more backing—by which I mean admissions backing—to be a competitive program in the dual season.”

COLUMBIA 30, HARVARD 15