Changes Concern HUDS Staffers

Due to planned reductions in hot breakfast service, all Harvard University Dining Services workers will have to bid on new schedules and positions for next year in a process that dining hall staff say leaves them uncertain about their job security.

According to a statement released Friday by HUDS Executive Director Ted A. Mayer, the staff reassignment seeks to accommodate the workers affected by the hot breakfast cut by filling some of the vacancies left by the early retirement program. The bid process was the mutual agreement of HUDS and Local 26, a union that represents hospitality workers in the Greater Boston area.

“We remain hopeful that we can find an opening within HUDS for anyone in a position that is being eliminated due to the service changes,” the statement said.

17 dining hall staff took the early retirement package, and 24 jobs—12 cooks and 12 general service positions—are being cut as a result of the elimination of hot breakfast, according to Annenberg shop steward Larry E. Houston.

Last Friday, dining hall employees received information packets that included bid forms listing all positions for next year—organized by dining halls, total hours per week, and day-by-day shifts. Employees have until Wednesday to submit their preferences, with the priority of bids determined by seniority, or the total time of service with HUDS. Results of the bid process will be announced on Friday.

Though Mayer’s statement was optimistic about finding an opening for everyone, dining hall workers said they were upset about the announcement, citing worries about being laid off, demoted, or transferred to a different dining hall.

According to several dining hall workers, HUDS has not said whether there are enough positions to guarantee everyone a job next year.

“We’re all really scared,” said William D. Nicolson Jr., who has worked as a general cook at Adams House for 15 years. “Our security is being ripped away.”

The loss of security was evident for Stephanie I. Alfred, a saladperson in Lowell House who received her bid form only to realize that her current job position was unlisted and will be eliminated next year. She said she plans to apply for a position on the hot line at Lowell but is unsure whether she will be able to stay in the House, or whether she will be able to maintain a full-time position at all.

“This isn’t fair,” said Alfred. “I have a family, too. I have bills to pay.”

Dining hall workers also said the reduced number of positions next year could translate into a greater workload.

For instance, in Adams House, only four general cook positions are up for bid for next year, down from the current total of five.

“There’s a work overload,” said Vincent A. James Sr., who noted that the bid form indicated only one chef working the Tuesday dinner shift in Adams House, which regularly sees 400 students during that meal period. “I don’t know how they expect us to do this.”

According to Harvard spokesman Kevin Galvin, there is ongoing dialogue between the union and the University.

Tomorrow, dining hall staff and students plan to rally in Harvard Yard at 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. to protest the HUDS job cuts.

—Staff writer Liyun Jin can be reached at ljin@fas.harvard.edu.