Sexual Assault in River House Reported Saturday

Alleged incident reported shortly before police presence began in Mather

SEE REDACTION BELOW

After police officers searched a room in Mather House on Saturday, the Harvard University Police log published yesterday reported a sexual assault in one of the River Houses early that morning.

The student allegedly involved in the incident said they do not plan to press charges. The student asked to remain anonymous because of the sensitive nature of the matter.

The police log lists the assault as an open investigation.

The Crimson was given no confirmation of whether the search in Mather was related to the sexual assault reported in the log.

HUPD officials declined to comment on the ongoing investigation. “It is our policy in conforming with state law and best practices for police agencies to protect the right of victims in sexual assault cases. We do not give comment unless there is a continuing public safety threat,” wrote HUPD spokesperson Steven G. Catalano in an e-mail yesterday.

The sexual assault allegedly occurred between 2:00 and 3:00 a.m. Saturday, according to the police log. HUPD officers were dispatched to make a report of the incident at 3:15 a.m.

[PARAGRAPH REDACTED]

According to Mather resident Michael F. Qian ’11, at least one HUPD officer sat outside Mather 416 from around 5 a.m. Saturday until approximately 9 p.m. He observed a group of about four or five investigative officials wearing rubber gloves entering the room at around 8 p.m. They left about an hour later.

—Staff writer Emily J. Hogan can be reached at ejhogan@fas.harvard.edu.

REDACTION

A paragraph was redacted from the Feb. 24 news article "Sexual Assault in River House Reported Saturday" because the information within it was printed in violation of an agreement with the source.