Crimson Rolls To Two Victories

Two matches and two dominating victories—for Harvard men’s squash, the season got off on the right foot.

The No. 5 Crimson traveled to Providence, R.I. on Friday to take on No. 13 Brown. Harvard swept the Bears, 9-0, dropping just two games on the day.

Saturday’s match sent the Crimson to Williamstown, Mass., where No. 10 Williams provided a bit more of a challenge, but Harvard still came away with the 6-3 win.

The Crimson’s top six players went undefeated on the weekend, and the top four on the ladder swept their respective matches.

“These two matches are the two easiest ones on our schedule,” co-captain Colin West said. “It’s important to get off to a good start against opponents we’re supposed to beat.”

HARVARD 6, WILLIAMS 3

In Saturday’s matchup, talent won out over depth, as Harvard earned victories at the top six spots to take a 6-3 decision.

“The Williams match was more encouraging,” co-captain Frank Cohen said. “We had two five-gamers that we were able to win, which speaks to how much we’ve trained.”

West, playing in the top spot and currently ranked second in the nation, easily dispatched the Eph No. 1 William Morris, 11-8, 11-3, 11-2.

Junior Richard Hill, freshman Zeke Scherl, and junior Reed Endresen rolled to wins at the second, third and fourth spots, respectively.

Cohen won, 3-2, at No. 6, while Williams claimed victory at Nos. 7, 8 and 9.

But it was the fifth spot that boasted the day’s most engaging matchup.

Rookie Jason Michas took Eph Bernard Yaros to five games, dropping the first game before rallying to win the second and third.

Yaros took the fourth, and the two battled to a 10-10 tie in the fifth game before Michas took the last two points to win the match, 3-2.

“His match could have been the crucial one,” West said. “He came back and had a mentally very good win. When you’re playing away, to come through despite that as a freshman is really important.”