Assistant Dean Promoted

McLoughlin will take on role as Senior Aide to College Dean

CORRECTION APPENDED

Paul J. McLoughlin, Assistant Dean of the College in the Office of Student Life and Activities, has been named senior aide to Dean of the College Evelynn M. Hammonds, a role he will fill in addition to his current deanship, Hammonds announced on Friday. [CORRECTION BELOW]

In his new position, McLoughlin will work closely with Hammonds, preparing briefings for meetings and writing background reports to aid with College decision-making. McLoughlin will also help Hammonds manage her staff both within University Hall and in other College offices, according to the announcement.

Hammonds, who took office on June 1, has been rearranging her staff during her first few months in office, in part working to realigning the College’s bureaucratic structure with that of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

In August, Georgene B. Herschbach, formerly the associate dean of academic programs, was appointed dean of administration within the College, a mirror of the executive dean position in FAS currently occupied by Brett C. Sweet.

Associate Dean and Secretary of FAS Noel Bisson stepped in to fill Herschbach’s shoes in the College with a slight adjustment to the job’s requirements.

The College’s administrative structure has been adjusting on a larger scale since 2003. Prior to that point, the College was led by two equal deans—a dean of the College and a Dean of Undergraduate education. That year, then-Dean of the Faculty William C. Kirby consolidated the deanships into a single job, which Hammonds inherited.

This July, Hammonds named Jay M. Harris, formerly the senior adviser to the Dean of the College, Dean of Undergraduate Education, a position distinct from the old deanship of the same name.

Hammonds has said her priorities for her first months in office will be the implementation of the General Education curriculum as well as planning a $1 billion House renewal project.

McLoughlin has served as assistant dean of the College for the past five years. Prior to that, he was assistant director for health and medical careers in Harvard’s Office of Career Services.

—Staff writer Aditi Balakrishna can be reached at balakris@fas.harvard.edu.

CORRECTION

The Sept. 22 article “Assistant Dean Promoted” mischaracterized the change in the University Hall duties of Paul J. McLoughlin II. While he will be retaining the title of assistant dean of the College, McLoughlin will be moving out of the Office of Student Life and Activities and working full-time as a senior aide to College Dean Evelynn M. Hammonds, according to McLoughlin.