UHS Clinician Forced to Take Sexual Harassment Training

CORRECTION APPENDED

Bruce Biller, the director of the University Health Services (UHS) clinic at the Harvard Business School was admonished by the Mass. medical licensing board after a University investigation found him guilty of sexual harassment. [SEE CORRECTION BELOW]

Director of UHS David S. Rosenthal said that Biller fully cooperated by the with the investigation.

“This matter has been resolved to HUHS’ satisfaction,” he wrote in an emailed statement.

A report filed by the state medical licensing board said that Biller has been ordered to complete sexual harassment training.

Biller declined to comment.

The report said that Biller “engaged in conduct that undermines the public confidence in the integrity of the medical profession.”

Biller, 60, touched a female staff support employee of UHS in a manner that made her feel uncomfortable during clinic hours in March 2005, according to the report by the Board of Registration in Medicine. This employee filed a sexual harassment complaint with the University against Biller the next day.

During the University’s investigation a nurse who also works at UHS said that Biller had kissed her on the forehead in November 2004 in order to wish her a happy Thanksgiving, making her feel uncomfortable.

The University concluded that Biller’s behavior was not in line with its standards of conduct and issued a written performance warning to Biller, who continues to serve as director of the businness school’s health clinic. According to the report, Biller attended a sexual harassment training session immediately after the female staffer filed the report.

— JAMISON A. HILL

CORRECTION:

The March 7 news brief, “Director of UHS clinic at the Business School forced to take sexual harassment training,” incorrectly stated that Bruce Biller, the director of the University Health Services clinic at the Harvard Business School, was found guilty of sexual harassment by a University investigation. In fact, the University only found Biller’s behavior to be inconsistent with its standards of conduct and issued him a warning following a performance evaluation.