AOTW: Taylor Takes Charge

The Harvard men’s hockey team (11-11-3, 9-7-2 ECACHL) is back in business.

After opening 2008 with a 1-4-1 record, the Crimson has come to life in February, starting with a first-round Beanpot Tournament victory against No. 14 Northeastern and culminating in an impressive performance last week.

The Crimson pushed No. 7 Boston College to the brink in the Beanpot Championship Game, Harvard’s first trip to the finals since 1998.

Despite the disappointment of the 6-5 overtime loss, rebounded to defeat two ranked opponents over the weekend -- No. 17 Princeton and No. 16 Quinnipiac, 3-2 and 4-1, respectively.

Suddenly, the Crimson is a contender for a first-round bye in the ECAC Tournament, with NCAA playoff hopes on the horizon.

Although excellent team play across the board has led to this recent resurgence, last week’s 2-1-0 streak against favored teams was in large part attributable to the play of co-captain Mike Taylor.

Taylor opened the week with two goals and one assist against Boston College.

Although BC jumped out to an early lead in the first period, Taylor kept his team in contention throughout the contest.

His game-tying first period goal came after a skillful pass against the boards back to his own stick, setting up a shot from the right faceoff circle.

In the third period, with Harvard down by two goals with less than ten minutes to play, Taylor, along with senior forward Jon Pelle, brought the Crimson back into the game with a pair of goals.

Taylor’s score, another tying shot with five minutes remaining, came off a midair deflection of a shot from sophomore Alex Biega from the blue line. The Crimson ultimately fell in overtime against a flurry of Boston College advances.

But under Taylor’s leadership, Harvard took a major step in the right direction in ending their 15-year Beanpot title drought and setting the tone for the rest of the season.

“We knew how special this opportunity was and how lucky you are to get this chance,” Taylor said. “You can’t take it for granted. We played desperate, and we’ve got to keep at it going forward down the stretch.”

Taylor’s words after the game, along with his overall high level of play, were indicative of the attitude that is driving the Crimson squad forward down the stretch.

“I thought Mike Taylor was, in my eyes, the best player in the tournament,” said head coach Ted Donato ’91. “He was outstanding both games, a factor every time he was on the ice, both offensively and defensively. He really elevated his game.”

Weekend games at the Bright Center versus favored Princeton and Quinnipiac did little to slow down Taylor and the Crimson as the team notched two victories.

Last Friday against Princeton, Taylor played a critical role in setting up sophomore forward Doug Rogers’ first career hat trick.

In the third period, his cross from the left wing to the waiting stick of Rogers, positioned at the weak side post, helped secure the win.

Taylor recorded another assist in the win against Quinnipiac on Saturday.

“As the season goes on, you just start to connect better,” Rogers said. “Passes start to go tape to tape and I think we’re just starting to work as a unit.”

In setting up scoring opportunities for his teammates and netting some goals of his own, Taylor has contributed immensely in putting the Crimson in fine position to move up in the standings over the rest of February.

Taylor put together two goals and three assists for a five point line for the week.

With victories over Yale and Brown this weekend, Harvard can overtake Cornell for the fourth place position in the ECAC, a spot that would secure a first-round bye in the conference tournament next month.