Hayek Takes the Stage at Annual Cultural Show

Perfomance groups showcase their diverse talents at sold-out shows in Sanders

William L. Jusino

Salma Hayek learns a move described as “screwing in lightbulbs” from Harvard Bhangra dancers at the Saturday’s Cultural Rhythms show. Hayek was named the “Artist of the Year” by the Harvard Foundation. for Intercultural and Race Relation.

CORRECTION APPENDED

The atmosphere in Sanders Theater, usually the home of Ec 10 lectures, was transformed Saturday by salsa dancers, sword fighters, and the presence of an international movie star for the 21st presentation of Cultural Rhythms.

The event, presented by The Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations, is a celebration of Harvard’s rich cultural diversity.

Each year, the Foundation chooses a member of the entertainment industry to honor with the Artist of the Year Award, who reflects such values of the Foundation.

This year actress and activist Salma Hayek joined the company of past honorees, including Will Smith, Matt Damon and Queen Latifah.

Hayek said she was especially thrilled to accept the award because she felt strongly about promoting diversity and intercultural understanding.

“We are in this world with people who have very different backgrounds, but everyone in here can say ‘I am human,’” she said. Hayek went on to explain that this common bond is something we need to honor above all else.

The two sold-out shows displayed the talent of over 30 cultural groups. Hayek, dressed casually in jeans and a sweatshirt, hosted the afternoon show.

After each performance, one member from each group presented Hayek with a rose. Many of these students also took the opportunity to share some skills with Hayek.

Shirley V. Cardona ’06 taught Hayek a butt-shaking dance move, much to the delight of the audience.

“It’s just incredible to think that [Hayek] is going to be sitting right there!” Juan S. Arias ’09 mused the night before the show. On Saturday, however, Hayek was not just sitting there. After the performed with Candela Salsa, Arias led the Oscar-nominated actress on a spin across the stage.

“I know I’m supposed to be serious and all—but this is seriously fun,” Hayek said with a smile.

Hayek joked back with the students, proposing marriage to one male drummer and enthusiastically taking part in their demonstrations.

When Erica A. Scott ’06, a member of Native Americans at Harvard College, presented Hayek with a pair of earrings, Hayek responded by giving Scott the pair of earrings she had been wearing.

The evening show was hosted by Annie R. Riley ’07 and Navin L. Kumar ’06.

Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid William R. Fitzsimmons ’67 said he believes the event affirms the values of the College is trying to promote.

“The class of ’67 went to a different Harvard,” he said. “There’s no better time at Harvard to show how far we’ve come than today.”

“To whom much is given, much is expected,” he said, adding that Hayek has never been one to rest on her laurels. It is this drive that would make her “the ideal student” at Harvard, he said.

Hayek was born in Mexico to Mexican and Lebanese parents. She was nominated for an Acadmey Award for her 2002 performance in Frida. In addition to her acting, Hayek has championed a variety of social causes, including domestic violence prevention and environmentalism.

Perhaps the event was best summed up by Annenberg’s well known face, Domna Antoniu.

“Fantastic!” she said.

—Staff writer Jillian M. Bunting can be reached at jbunting@fas.harvard.edu

CORRECTION: The print edition of this article, "Hayek Takes the Stage
at Annual Cultural Show," incorrectly stated that 20 student groups
performed at the Harvard Foundation's annual Cultural Rhythms show. In
fact, 30 student groups performed.

Multimedia

Unnamed photo

Unnamed photo