'Tuned In'

ON THE RADAR

“Tuned In.” Friday, Feb. 24. 8 p.m. Sanders Theatre. Tickets available through the Harvard Box Office, (617) 496-2222. $12 general admission, $8 students.

And now for something completely different: this Friday, Harvard’s own Din & Tonics and Opportunes—two of the more popular a cappella groups on campus—will fill Sanders Theatre with vocal iterations of rock, jazz, and pop standards from the past century.

The Din and Tonics are an all-male group whose eccentric stage attire, diverse musicality, and dynamic performances have won them a reputation as one of the world’s premier college a capella ensembles. The Opportunes, Harvard’s first fully co-ed singing group, are similarly recognized for their multi-part harmonies and sense of humor.

Though Sanders has been home to two outstanding a cappella concerts of late—the Ladysmith Black Mombazo performance two weeks ago and the Valentine’s Day Jam–it is more frequently the preferred venue for orchestral performances and for exhibitions by visiting artists.

Indeed, Harvard students have been largely absent from Sanders’ hallowed stage throughout the past few months. However, the many mainstage concerts featured in the upcoming weeks should restore the balance.

“Tuned In,” both a student-run and student-friendly show, will usher Harvard students back into the Theatre in a performative capacity, foreshadowing Saturday’s Cultural Rhythms festival and spring performances by the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra, the Harvard-Radcliffe Collegium Musicum, the Harvard Glee Club, and the Harvard Krokodiloes, among others.

This Friday, you’ll be sure to hear something that will delight your ears, be it a guilty-pleasure pop anthem wrapped in middle school nostalgia, a fists-raised and lighters-out rock hit, or a smoky jazz classic that you (kinda-sorta) recognize. Oh, and best of all: it’s all been re-invented in a cappella close harmony replete with skits and assorted other antics.

Regardless of its day-job as home to Harvard’s more elephantine lectures, Sanders remains the premier venue in which to hear live music on campus. If you haven’t been to Sanders for some time or if you merely want to hear some music (and see some faces) that you’ll definitely recognize, this late-February vocal jam is a perfect occasion to tune in.