Bar Rentals: All the Beer Selection, None of the Townies

Tired of throwing down in the Lowell Bell Tower every weekend? Shell out a few bucks and you and your

Tired of throwing down in the Lowell Bell Tower every weekend? Shell out a few bucks and you and your friends can take advantage of a wealth of cool party spaces for rent around Cambridge.

The conveniently local Tommy Doyle’s offers tasty beers and Irish kitsch at reasonable prices: students can party in the “Crimson Lounge” for a food and drink minimum of $10 per head, any day of the week until 1 a.m. (2 a.m. Thursdays through Saturdays).

For a raucous good time in Central Square, get a hold of the function room in The Tavern in the Square for a crowd of 25-55. The establishment doesn’t charge for the room, but there will be a minimum to spend on food and alcohol, depending on the size of your group and the night of your party. On a given Friday night this might between $750-$1000, so bring some heavy drinkers.

Venturing as far as Kendall Square, The Blue Room has a private dining room that seats up to 50 people. The Blue Room is on the ground floor of a renovated factory and, according to owner Nick Zappia, it sports a “romantic, casual but upscale” feel. It’s available Sunday through Thursday with a $1000 minimum and Friday for $2500. Appointed in warm colors and featuring a large wood grill in the open kitchen, The Blue Room is the perfect place for a cozy winter dinner party.

For Quadlings who don’t want to roam too far from home, Temple Bar on Mass Ave provides good food and a fun atmosphere, and doesn’t charge for the reservation of their private dining room. A party of about 30 can munch on hors d’oeuvres and order from a well-stocked bar.

For your convenience, FM provides the contact info of a few likely hot spots for your next off-campus soiree:

Tommy Doyle’s
96 Winthrop Street
Call Peter Woodman at 857-389-2502

The Tavern in the Square
730 Massachusetts Ave
617-868-8800

The Blue Room
1 Kendall Square
(617) 494-9034

Temple Bar
1688 Massachusetts Ave
617-547-5055