Split Ticket, Split Council

New Undergraduate Council laws aim to prevent a fractured leadership from taking office again

The nearly unprecedented split-ticket election of this year’s Undergraduate Council (UC) president and vice president ultimately foundered, as Vice President Ian W. Nichols ’06 resigned amid rumors that he was forced out.

After Nichols stepped down, the president’s former running mate was ushered in as the replacement vice president­ in an uncomfortably close vote.

These unexpected changes led to the partial fracturing of a council that was almost entirely behind President Matthew J. Glazer ’06 and his running mate, then-treasurer Clay T. Capp ’06, at the beginning of the semester.

Glazer and Nichols, who have served on the UC since their freshman year, were pushed together from separate tickets in December’s election.

As chair of the Student Affairs Committee (SAC), Glazer held a historical mandate to the presidency—three of the four previous UC presidents were SAC chairs—and most of the UC endorsed him and Capp.

Nichols, as vice-chair of the Finance Committee (FiCom), signed on to run for vice president at the last minute with UC-outsider Tracy “Ty” Moore ’06. In their campaign, Moore and Nichols billed themselves as a potent combination of an outsider in touch with student needs and an insider with the experience to make them reality.

Glazer and Capp promised to enact changes through connections in University Hall.

The Crimson’s endorsement of a Glazer-Nichols pair was an anomaly among a series of ticket-specific endorsements.

The record-breaking voter turnout of almost 4,000 students resulted in a split election of Glazer and Nichols that seemed to leave the victors deflated.

“I’m excited, but also disappointed that this is how it turned out,” Glazer said at his somber victory party, which was supposed to be for Capp as well. “Ian and I will work together to do the best job that we can.”

Nichols called his victory “bittersweet,” but said that he would have no trouble working with Glazer.

But six months later, Nichols resigned, leaving other UC members questioning the exact circumstances of his departure.

And Capp, who ran with the support of the majority of the UC in December, became the new vice president by only two votes in May.

Though UC members say they have moved past the election controversy, for some, the council stands divided.

TROUBLE BREWS