TV Watch: "The OC"

Fox television

“The O.C.”

Fox, Thursdays, 8 p.m.

Inner conflict exposed!

The closing moments of this week’s “The OC” added up to perhaps the most captivating, puzzling, and laughable scene in the two-and-a-half-year history of the series. And we’ll come to that…but first things first.

This episode’s major flaw was the editing. In one particular scene, the camera remained on Sandy standing alone in a room for about five seconds too long. I waited for something to happen; it didn’t. Reminds me of this season’s plot developments.

But then, something notable finally did happen! Julie went from scamming Newport with Charlotte to silently shutting down that faux alcoholic’s plan and making her take the next bus back to “rehab.” (She didn’t even get to say goodbye to Kirsten…tsk tsk. Maybe she’ll send a “Stalk you again soon” card.)

Ryan’s conflict with that surfer from the bad side of the tracks—Stalin or Voldemort or whatever her name is—ended when Ryan managed to, as Sandy paternalistically put it, “use brains instead of brawn.” Eloquent, no? Never before has a character pulled a complete 180 so much as Ryan’s adversary, as he went from keying the Cohens’ car earlier in the episode to basically placing his tail between his legs and scampering away in tears at the end.

The whole Seth-Summer-Taylor storyline progressed, as Taylor further professed her love for Seth and anime. From the looks of it, this plot development is slated to continue for a while, and that is fine by me, because I’m kind of digging Taylor. C’mon…admit that the whole “mentally unstable” thing is sort of a turn-on.

Now, onto the cryptic finale of the episode. After Marissa commented on how she is so pleased that Ryan is so balanced and calm this year, Ryan entered the poolhouse, gazed pensively at his punching bag, and then beat the crap out of that mofo! Why? We don’t know. I sat wondering…college anxiety? Hard day at school? Frustrated with Marissa for almost killing your brother?

Or, maybe… Angry that the writers killed your character? Ah, yes…that’s the one.