Ivy League Roundup

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—Nick Hartigan ran for 167 yards and two touchdowns as Brown beat Penn 34-20 on Saturday.

Brown (6-1. 3-1 Ivy) began the scoring after Tim Cotter intercepted a pass by Bryan Walker on the third play of the game.

Steve Morgan converted that turnover into a 47-yard field goal for Brown.

Jamie Gasperella intercepted another pass from Walker late in the second period, leading to a 40-yard touchdown run by quarterback Joe DiGiacomo, increasing Brown’s lead to 17-0.

Gasperella recovered a fumble by Matt Carre on Penn’s 23-yard line, setting up Hartigan for a one-yard touchdown run, giving Brown its largest lead of the game, 24-0.

Penn got on the scoreboard when Walker found Joe Sandberg with a 30-yard screen pass for a touchdown with 1:48 left in the half. Walker was 15-for-38 for 193 yards and two touchdowns plus two interceptions.

Brown was up 24-7 at halftime.

Penn (5-2, 3-1) pulled within 24-14 when Scotty Williams interception a pass from DiGiacomo and returned it 80 yards for a touchdown five minutes into the third quarter.

On Brown’s next possession, Hartigan scored on a 24-yard run. Morgan kicked a 28-yard field goal with 10:56 left in the game, giving Brown a 34-14 lead. Sandberg got his second touchdown of the game on a 26-yard pas from walker at 9:34 in the fourth.

YALE 37, COLUMBIA 3

NEW YORK—Jeff Mroz passed for 203 yards and two touchdowns in a 31-point second quarter to lead Yale to a 37-3 rout over Columbia on Saturday.

Ashley Wright caught scoring passes of seven and 68 yards, Mike McLeod ran for two touchdowns and Alan Kimball added a 41-yard field goal to give Yale (3-4, 3-1) a 31-3 lead in the second quarter.

Columbia (2-5, 0-4) scored on the game’s first possession when Jon Rocholl kicked a 20-yard field goal.

McLeod started the offensive barrage on a seven-yard run early in the second quarter. Mroz, who finished with 329 yards on 22-for-33 passing, then hit Wright twice to stretch the lead to 21-3. McLeod scored on a one-yard run before Kimball added his field goal on the final play of the first half.

Kimball kicked a 23-yard field goal in the third quarter and a 21-yarder in the fourth quarter.

Mroz has 33 career touchdown passes, third best in Yale history. Alvin Cowan ’04 holds the record with 41.

PRINCETON 20, CORNELL 17

PRINCETON, N.J.—Derek Javarone kicked a 35-yard field goal, the Ivy League record-setting 42nd in his career, in overtime Saturday afternoon to lead Princeton past Cornell, 20-17.

The Tigers (5-2, 3-1), who jumped out to a 14-0 lead, actually had to rally in the final minutes of regulation just to force the extra frame.

Javarone kicked a 32-yarder to tie things at 17 with 2:18 remaining, setting the stage for his game-winner minutes later.

Jason Feinberg, who had played at Penn, previously held the league record for field goals with 41.

The Tigers dominated early in the game, as quarterback Jeff Terrell connected with tight end Jon Dekker on an 11-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter and Rob Toresco capped off an eight-play, 72-yard scoring march with a one-yard run in the second.

But Cornell (3-4. 1-3) refused to go quietly. Free safety Kevin Rex sacked Terrell back at the Princeton two-yard line, forcing a punt that allowed the Big Red to take possession on the home teams 46-yard line.

A 15-yard shovel pass from Ryan Kuhn to Luke Siwula paved the way to a 46-yard field goal by A.J. Weitsman, getting Cornell on the scoreboard.

The Big Red immediately regained possession with an onside kick and scored on a 39-yard field goal from Weitsman.

Weitsman added a fourth-quarter field goal to bring the visitors within 14-9, and they later grabbed a 17-14 advantage with Siwula’s six-yard touchdown reception and conversion run in the fourth.

It was Princeton’s Javarone who then was able to rescue the team with his two field goals.

Terrell threw for 190 yards while Kuhn countered with 152 through the air and 75 on the ground, but the defenses, in addition to Javarone, stole the show.

Cornell’s Rex led all tackles with 21 stops, including a sack, while Princeton linebacker Abi Fadeyi had 14 tackles, including two sacks.