‘Visionary’ Tackles Complex Asian Issues

Sophia Lai ’04 is unabashedly idealistic.

Even upon first introduction to the vocal advocate for Ethnic Studies and Asian American issues on campus, one is immediately struck by how deeply she thinks about and questions everything—the operation of society, its organization, her place in it and how it can best be improved.

Lai’s warm smile complements a determined expression that hints at the friendly intensity with which she approaches life—whether heading the Asian American Association (AAA), leading a Freshman Urban Program (FUP) group or contemplating the way in which society can change for the better.

“She’s a visionary, she’s really good at seeing the ideal picture and at bringing people together,” says blockmate Janet H. Yueh ’04.

Lai is the kind of woman who turned in her Social Studies senior thesis—an examination of the legitimacy of Asian American studies in higher education—and celebrated by attending a conference on Asian American issues the next day at 9 a.m.

It’s not that Lai doesn’t know how to have fun—she’s quick to laugh and has a huge circle of admiring friends, at least 359 of them according to thefacebook.com. Rather, she says she just has the most fun when she is challenging herself and others to engage deeply with what she calls her “issues,” whether it’s during marathon conversations in the Currier dining hall with blockmates or through her leadership in the movement for Ethnic Studies.

Friends say this passion has made those around her feel that they should start asking some questions of their own and that it has prompted the organizations she has been involved with to start reeavaluating their goals.

RECOGNIZING SYSTEMIC INJUSTICE

Lai says she became interested in political issues at a young age, in part because of her family’s connection to Taiwan.

Lai’s parents emigrated from Taiwan to the U.S. in 1975, and she grew up hearing them express their support of democracy and independence for their native country.

In 1995 Lai’s parents took her to see the president of Taiwan speak at Cornell University, an experience she cites as a major turning point.

“It really influenced me,” she says. “In American schools you’re constantly instilled with patriotic values, and you don’t realize that it’s different in other countries.”

She also says she feels that people who are Taiwanese are often automatically considered inferior to the Chinese, although prejudice can often be subtle.

“People in America often don’t realize that Asians aren’t all the same,” she says, noting that many tensions exist among various Asian groups and within the Asian American comgroups and within the Asian American community.

“It’s very important to understand the diversity within ethnic groups, to know that they’re not just monolithic,” she says.