Most Agree, Pettit's Goal Was In

MR. MARCH
Timothy M. Mcdonald

Assistant captain Tyler Kolarik scored a goal in each of the weekend's ECAC quarterfinal games, including the game-tying goal that sent the teams into overtime on Saturday night.

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—He was pretty certain it went in.

Same goes for his teammates on the ice. And everyone on the Harvard bench. And at least one Brown player, along with, we presume, most of the 1,528 on hand.

If majority ruled at Meehan Auditorium, Crimson senior winger Tim Pettit would’ve been awarded the game-winning goal at 1:40 of overtime Saturday night. After all, even the great Yann Danis had put his head down, seemingly conceding defeat to the Harvard skaters buzzing about him with glee.

This one was over, right?

Well, no. The two most important people in the building when it comes to such matters—the goal judge and referee Scott Hansen—didn’t see Pettit’s laser sail over Danis’s glove and pop out, quicker than you could say, “Albany.” Serves Pettit right, you might say, for possessing a vicious slapshot that can be unseeable, unstoppable or both.

“I knew it didn’t go over the crossbar, so I had the idea that it went in, but I wasn’t positive,” Pettit said. “Everyone up top saw it go in…I got all of it, that’s for sure.”

After a quick but spirited dispute, however, the teams played on. One felt as if it had been robbed. The other was thankful for new playoff life.

In the end, the team that deserved to win, won. Harvard junior Tom Cavanagh scored about six minutes later to send his team to Albany with a 3-2 victory.

With that, all was forgiven.

“I could care less now because we won. Who cares?” Pettit asked. “If we would’ve lost, that would’ve been a big hit.

“But after [the non-goal], Danis psyched himself out. It was only a matter of time before we scored.”

Pettit may have missed out on what would’ve been his first overtime winner in a Crimson sweater, but he certainly did not go home empty-handed. His parting gifts included a pretty important goal of his own—coming less than 30 seconds after Brown took a 2-0 lead in the second—and the honor of playing more games (132) than anyone else in Harvard hockey history, breaking the old mark of former captain Steve Armstrong ’88.

Both coaches agreed that Pettit’s goal, coming on a 2-on-1 with Charlie Johnson at 11:03 of the second, changed the game’s momentum. Pettit tipped it into the air, off Danis, and barely over the line for his 10th goal of the season, second of the series.

“Charlie just made a great pass, right over the guy’s stick,” Pettit said. “Danis made a great save just to stop the puck, but luckily it went over the net. It’s nice to have a lucky bounce every once in awhile.”

Pettit said he didn’t know about the record until Harvard assistant director of athletic communications Jamie Weir told him about it earlier this season.