Outside Chance Remains For M. Soccer To Win Crown

HANOVER, N.H.—With a 1-0 loss to Dartmouth yesterday, the Harvard men’s soccer team’s Ivy title chances are no longer in its control. But surprisingly, even with two league losses, the Crimson’s title hopes aren’t completely lost after the weekend results.

To at least claim a share of the title, the Crimson (9-6-0, 3-2-0 Ivy) will most likely need to win out in its last two games against Columbia and Penn, and hope that Brown can upset the Big Green (5-2-6, 3-0-2) next week. Harvard got some help this weekend, after both the Quakers and Yale lost, clogging up the middle of the conference pack.

Should the Crimson manage a tie for the Ivy championship, it will be its first time doing so since 1994.

As of yesterday, Dartmouth was the one team left that controlled its own destiny.

“We’re glad to be in a good position, but we don’t take anything for granted,” Dartmouth coach Jeff Cook said.

Harvard hosts the Lions this Saturday before traveling to Philadelphia to take on the Quakers on Nov. 13.

ROAMING ROWAN

All week the Harvard had been hearing about how formidable the Dartmouth defense was. After all, the Big Green had allowed just nine goals all year—good enough for 12th in the nation for goals-against average.

Plus, the team was led by sophomore goalie Rowan Anders who had a .744 GAA., good for 15th in the nation.

”They’re a formidable defense,” Harvard coach John Kerr said. “We did have our chances, we just didn’t capitalize on them.”

Anders had several spectacular saves on the day, as he shut down a Crimson offense which had been on fire as of later, scoring 15 goals in five games.

“I always come out to play,” Anders said. “And so does the rest of team.”

Still, junior captain and defender Will Craig was not of the same mind about the Dartmouth’s netminder performance.

“I wasn’t terribly impressed with him,” Craig said.

MISSING PLANKS IN THE D-FENCE