Harvard Will Rely on Backs To Move Forward

Showdown with Princeton could decide the league

It will be the classic case of the unstoppable force versus the immovable object tomorrow when the Harvard women’s soccer team (6-4-2, 3-1-0 Ivy) travels to Princeton, N.J.

The Crimson will take on the No. 9 Tigers (11-1-0, 4-0-0) in a game that is wrought with Ivy League title implications.

And playing the part of the immovable object in this game will be a Harvard defense that has allowed just nine goals this season—tied for second fewest among Ivy League teams.

Removing the Crimson’s opening-game, 3-2 loss to then-No. 6 Portland from the equation, Harvard has allowed just six goals in its last 11 games and has pitched five shutouts.

Any analysis of the Crimson defense begins in goal, where junior goalkeeper Katie Shields boasts a 0.80 goals against average and a 0.864 save percentage.

“Katie’s like a fourth defender in there,” sophomore back Laura Odorczyk said. “Not only does she save goals, but she doesn’t hesitate to come out and clear the ball.”

Harvard accordingly employs just three backs in front of Shields, led by captain Liza Barber, who was the only returning player to start more than three games at back last season.

In addition to her solid defense, Barber leads all Harvard backs with two assists and seven shots.

“Liza is an exceptional player,” Wheaton said. “She dominates on the air and on the ground.”

Flanking Barber at back are Odorczyk and freshman Michelle Hull. Each of the three players is adept at using their athleticism to create havoc for opposing teams.

“[Their speed] means that we can play with three in the back instead of four,” Wheaton said. “They organize themselves well and get forward well.”

The stinginess of the Crimson defense will surely be tested, however, when it comes up against the unstoppable force of the Princeton offense—an attack that has tallied 31 times this season.

The Tigers are led by forward Esmeralda Negron, who was named Ivy League Player of the Year in 2003 and leads the team with 9 goals and 8 assists this season.

The Princeton defense, however, is no slouch either—the Tigers lead the Ivy League with just four goals allowed this season.

Goalkeeper Madeleine Jackson leads all of Division I with a 0.17 goals against average.