Legendary W. Lacrosse Coach Set to Retire

Kleinfelder won national title in 1990

Last Saturday afternoon, an era in Crimson athletics and in women’s sports history came to an end. Carole Kleinfelder, the Harvard women’s lacrosse coach, walked the sidelines for Harvard in her last home game.

Kleinfelder, the winningest coach in women’s lacrosse history with a mark of 252-124-3, announced her retirement to the team before its 12-2 loss to Princeton on March 21. But beyond the numbers of wins, Ivy League titles and even a national championship, Kleinfelder’s coaches, players and comrades will remember her more for the significant impact she made outside the lines.

Blazing a Trail

When Kleinfelder was named the Crimson’s coach in 1979, few knew the extent of the changes she would bring to women’s sports. To be sure, she was renowned, having already served as the coach of the U.S. National team, and she quickly turned a strong Harvard program into a dynasty that many teams would attempt to emulate. She reached the pinnacle on the field in 1990, when the Crimson capped an undefeated 15-0 season with the first women’s NCAA national championship for Harvard.

To those who know her best, that was one of the most improbable moments. Legendary for her lack of organization, more than a few alumni of her national championship team remarked that it is “amazing that she got to a game on time, let alone won a national championship.”

Underneath the jokes is a relationship that has continued over the years and has gone beyond traditional player-coach boundaries.

“That championship team was unique,” Kleinfelder said. “That team had chemistry so important in winning teams, and they truly loved the game.”

And Kleinfelder’s teams loved her. While interviewing graduates who played for her, one is struck by how close many of them remain to her, having her over for Easter or returning to play in last Saturday’s alumni game.

“It was a privilege and an honor to play for Carole for four years,” said Maggie Vaughan ’90, the captain of Harvard’s national championship team. “And it’s continued to be an honor to count her as a mentor and a friend.”

Kleinfelder’s current players also appreciate their relationships with their coach.

“She’s more than just a coach,” said junior goaltender Laura Mancini. “She cares about all her players, their lives outside of lacrosse, and the team recognizes that.”

Numerous alumni remarked that she encouraged her players to have lives beyond lacrosse—advising them to go to formals, hear visiting speakers or participate in community service.

“She was very unique among coaches at Harvard in stressing balance at school,” Drury said.

A Style All Her Own

Kleinfelder’s relationship with her players was not the only part of her character that made her stand out. Her hands-off style of coaching allowed her players freedom during games.