HSA Cancels Its Birthday Bash

At 10:30 p.m. last night, the second and third floors of the Hong Kong were humming.

But instead of hundreds of thirsty students downing Scorpion Bowls to celebrate Harvard Student Agency’s (HSA) 30th anniversary—as HSA had advertised in e-mails sent to House lists—there were few students in the crowd after the group withdrew its sponsorship of the party.

“We just had some insurance and liability issues that wouldn’t pan out, and throwing the party wouldn’t be the best course of action for us at this time,” said Derek M. Zanutto ’04, assistant manager of HSA’s bartending course.

Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis ’68 said the general manager of HSA, Bob Rombauer, asked that the group withdraw its sponsorship of the party. Managers at the Kong said that, even though the party would be run by certified bartenders, Rombauer was concerned about alcohol being served.

The e-mails, which began circulating Monday, advertised free drinks for the first 250 students of age to arrive at a the party, free for students with Harvard ID.

Though he expressed regret for inconvenience the change may have caused, bartending course manager Brandon A. Gayle ’03 still encouraged students to party at the Kong.

“I do still encourage all of you to come out and take advantage of the Hong Kong’s traditional Thursday club nights,” wrote Gayle in a Wednesday e-mail notifying students of the change. “That’s right, I said you should still roll out to the Hong Kong and have a good time.”

One of the managers of the Kong’s second-floor club expressed frustration with the short notice HSA had given them.

“We’ve been planning this party for a month and a half,” said Greg, who refused to give his last name. “But [Rombauer] didn’t find out that there was alcohol involved until yesterday.”

“I was disappointed by the whole thing. It put us in a tough situation,” he added. “I found the whole thing a little unorganized.”

Greg was not the only person put out by the change of plans.

“Yeah, I was going to go to the Hong Kong party,” said Richard A. Przekop ’05, who was planning to attend with his blockmates. “I had my outfit picked out and everything...I was kind of pissed that it got cancelled.”

“I mean, I thought Harvard was going to do something fun for once,” he said, “but nobody can ever pull anything like that off here.”

—Staff writer Sarah M. Seltzer can be reached at sseltzer@fas.harvard.edu.